Wah settings - I eat my words

• As I posted before that the wah was terrible....that may have been a bit hasty. I can eat humble pie, no problem.

The problem is that you need to take some time to setup the wah to your expression pedal. Once I grasped this concept fully it was then fairly easy to get a sound that I now like.

and here's an example of

http://soundcloud.com/jonguk/slowthing3-wah-test

• :thumbup: Well done, happy it is now working for you!

Edit: would you mind sharing the settings for all the newcomers here?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• What was the problem?

When I plugged in my expression pedal I was expecting the wah to just work and sound like my crybaby wah for example....but it didn't. It takes quite a lot of fiddling about with the settings to get the wah to sound like a real pedal. Are there any presets of different wah pedal types in the KPA? if not, it would be nice to add some.

• Ack! I spent a couple hours trying to conjure up a wah as well. Not claiming these settings are optimum, just that it's sensible with an M-Audio EX-P Expression Pedal. Also experimented with using a tip-and-sleeve Line6 expression pedal for this purpose, (their Stompbox Modelers use these for wah) but to no avail. Stick with the Roland (Type 1) or Yamaha (Type 2)-style TRS expression pedals.

System Settings
    Page 4
    ...1: Expr. (Type 1) Wah Wah

Wah Wah Stomp Settings
    Page 1:
    ...Manual 3.5
    ...Peak 8.0
    ...Pedal Range + 27%
    ...Peak Range - 44%
    Page 2:
    ...Mix 100%
    ...Volume + 5.0
    ...Pedal Mode Bypass @ Heel

-djh

Edited once, last by dhodgson ().

• I use "Low Pass" & "High Pass", not Wah Wah

LOW PASS - Les Paul
    Manual...2.7
    Peak...0.0
    Pedal Range...+ 34%
    Peak Range...100%
    Mix...69%
    Volume...+ 0.1
    Heel Mode.

HIGH PASS - Tele
    Manual...2.0
    Peak...3.0
    Pedal Range...+38%
    Peak Range...100%
    Mix...75%
    Volume...+0.5
    Heel mode.

• What is better, wah wah or high/low pass ? difference?

• Great info, thanks!

• What is better, wah wah or high/low pass

Funny question.
    Just try it out and trust your ears ;)

• I couldn't seem to get the Wah to work at all, but these settings helped me immensely, thanks!!

• I couldn't seem to get the Wah to work at all, but these settings helped me immensely, thanks!!

You're welcome! It's still pretty much the patch I use today, and it holds up well against my M5 Stompbox Modeler (which has many wahs to choose from.) It's a much better setting than the factory stomp preset.

-djh

• The factory presets sound identical to the analog pendants.
    But I have no doubt that the originals can be beaten in sound and performance, since they work in analog boundaries.

I would be happy to see more user created effect presets.
    Put them on the Rig exchange!

• thousand thanks... i tested a lot with this f... wah settings....
    great job ... :thumbup:

...I had a lot of equipment... but 2012 I got the KPA.... :)

• Great job! Awesome settings mate! :thumbup:

Thank you for sharing.

• I thank you as well for posting your wah settings. I was in the ballpark but wasn't thrilled with the way my wah set-up sounded until I tweaked based on some recommended settings. The issue for me (and likely a lot of people) is that I've never had to set up a wah. I've used Cry Babys and Morleys for years and simply had to worry about the foot sweep motion to get the tone and effect I was looking for. I love the fact the the KPA has so many programmable parameters but I think it's safe to say that a lot of Christoph's knowledge is a bit beyond my own. Maybe the Kemper team could come up with 4 or 5 suggested settings based on some commonly used wahs. This would allow us to get the tones we are looking for and also give us a useable base from which we can build our own wah settings that sound cool to our ears. Currently setting up the wah is similar to tuning a racing engine from scratch with no real tuning experience. If we have a basic tune-up to start from we will be able to go from there. :thumbup:

• Firstly, I thought the wha was totally useless... this was before I loaded the Rig Pack and the presets. The presets are amazing !!! I particularly love the CAE and the Crybaby presets. On the Crybaby, I only lowered slightly the peak.

the bypass@stop function works like the Dunlop 95Q switchless pedal ! I sell mine now, anyone interested ? :)

Amazing feature, congrats CK !!

An happy wha user