cab module to IR conversion?

• Hi guys,
    is it possible to convert a cab module into a .wav impulse response?
    I know that CabMaker can convert IRs to cab modules in order to be loaded on the KPA, but I was wondering if there's a way to do the other way round without going into the whole IR recording process.

Thanks a lot :)

• Logically, the only way I can think of is to fire a full-spectrum pulse (starter pistol, balloon pop or other full-bandwidth "click") through the Kemper with all modules except the Cab one turned off.

Top and tail the resulting file (remove pre and post-waveform "silent" data) and you'll have a conventional IR.

I suspect you knew this already, but I'm afraid there's no other way to make the conversion AFAIK.

• Logically, the only way I can think of is to fire a full-spectrum pulse (starter pistol, balloon pop or other full-bandwidth "click") through the Kemper with all modules except the Cab one turned off.

Top and tail the resulting file (remove pre and post-waveform "silent" data) and you'll have a conventional IR.

I suspect you knew this already, but I'm afraid there's no other way to make the conversion AFAIK.

Hi,
    thanks for your answer.
    Yes, that's what I meant by "going into the whole IR recording process".
    I was wondering if there's a faster and more consistent way to do it, like a conversion tool or something like that.

Thanks anyway for answering me :)

• Create a impulse file in Sound Forge or similar; 44.1K mono, 24-bit, 1 sec long will do. Using the pencil tool, draw the first sample so it's max (0dB). Turn off everything in the Kemper except the cab. Reamp the file over S/PDIF through the Kemper. Capture the output, normalize, top 'n tail.

• Yeah, that's what I suggested (essentially) in case he hadn't thought of that, dhodgson, but he confirmed what he meant in his response to me:

I was wondering if there's a faster and more consistent way to do it, like a conversion tool or something like that.