What Happened to Sonic?

• It just says the usual banned message - no detail.

As I said, I've heard no discussion about this. Every time Sin gets his periodic 10-day ban, folks say things such as whether or not they agree with its imposition. The circumstances are usually very-clear. One time it was for using too many characters, in spite of repeated warnings, in his commercial-thread titles. This time it was for showing disrespect and using foul language excessively. In Sonic's case, the padlock "suddenly" appeared, and I've not heard a peep out of anyone as to what exactly happened.

No matter. Thought I might've missed some spectacular series of events that led to the decision, but it would seem nothing too-major has happened on the board.

Thank you for responding, mate; I appreciate it. ;)

• Agreed, mate, but if you've put a lot of energy into trying to help someone both on the board an off it (PM's) and he or she suddenly disappears, it's logical, understandable and natural to want to know what the Hell happened, IMHO.

In the absence of this information, the whole exercise is deemed fruitless and pointless. I'm left wondering why I bothered.

• A new day, and a thought upon reflection.

In the interest of fairness, I feel it necessary to point out the following worthy attributes Sonic displayed:

He was never-rude.
    He was rarely-off-topic, and even then, only when a precedent had been set.
    He was extremely-patient. Like a dog that wouldn't let go of a bone, he stuck to his guns in the face of much criticism.
    He was highly-eloquent, expressing himself clearly and with great attention to detail.
    He was extremely-tolerant when one considers the flak he received, all the while maintaining a sense of decorum and never resorting to verbal abuse or character assassination / ad-hominem attack.

The manner in which he conducted himself should be respected IMHO; such behaviour doesn't happen by accident and requires much discipline and strength of character.

• Opinionated perhaps, but never rude. MM is right.

A new day, and a thought upon reflection.

In the interest of fairness, I feel it necessary to point out the following worthy attributes Sonic displayed:

He was never-rude.
    He was rarely-off-topic, and even then, only when a precedent had been set.
    He was extremely-patient. Like a dog that wouldn't let go of a bone, he stuck to his guns in the face of much criticism.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Agreed, CJ, but consider the fact that he came across opinionated 'cause he felt... no, believed that he was right. He trusted is ears and experience. Often this "daring" M.O. can see one come off as opinionated when in fact one's simply conveying what one believes.

You know this I'm sure, brother. ;)

• I agree. To the best of my knowledge he has always been courteous and humble.

• I don't think the Sonic ban was fair, for "attacking and derailing".

1) In the last thread he posted he wasn't derailing anything, really. Even the OP told him that he described "100 percent what he was hearing"; it's just that it was said he was "derailing" thread. He wasn't. Just being critical of KPA doesn't mean you are derailing a thread.

2) If you want to find attacks here you can. They may not use a "bad word" so much but are often way worse when it comes to what is actually said. And even on that end, you can see post after post where Sonic sticks to topic while having personal stuff hurled at him. He did respond in kind, in parts -- but it's not like we do not allow that liberty to other members.

3) I also do not think users should be banned easily so. It may make the forum more "friendly" but it also sets a precedent where people are scared to say anything at the end of the day. There's a line between criticism and something like harassment; but even for the sake of the moral badness of the later, I think there's value in keeping such a forum as "open" as possible other than when "red lines" are crossed. It's not a public commodity and Kemper has the moral ground to set the rules, but there can still be "user demand" influencing one or another direction.

• Like the infamous grinning monkey avatar crossing the line in somebody's opinion? When is the ape week coming? September? 0r are we going to let it pass? It was fun, after all, and some humour is better than some irritated spleen, eh?

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• specific yes,
    For the most part , polite and articulate
    But, super annoying
    And also dismissive to some when others were trying to help

I got ignored several times, I feel
    But that's just my opinion on 2 cents so, on to other more constructive things I suppose

Reverbs? New dist stomps? Extra routing somehow?

• I think he was a planted troll from Fractal. For example, he was spouting the Fractal theory of the 7 core Amps, etc. I think he was here to make the KPA look bad.

Oh please.... PLENTY people have found that stuff on the fractal forums. Not hard to get there via google when searching about the kemper tones.

No need for those conspiracy theories.

• Sonic was most definitely not sent by fractal or anyone. He hasn't even played an axe; pretty sure about that. Plus when he talked about "congestion" some laughed at him. I had used that word to describe results from a test of mine. Then CK even agreed with the term "congestion" as a good way to describe the sound; and the effect was attributed to power amp + preamp distortion confusing the profiler.

• Sonic was no doubt banned because he essentially posted the same thoughts repeatedly without advancing the discussion. He also refused to profile his own amps where he could have better spent his forum time working through the KPA's issues with his experience. I think the consistent criticism bothered admins, primarily because it was repeated incessantly.

But... he wasn't wrong. He was also fair and measured in his approach, often having to deflect personal invective from defensive Kemperites that just couldn't bear the thought that someone would dwell on tiny nuances and rain on the parade they thought was perfect. If Sonic is banned, then I'd say a good number of loyal contributors on this forum should have been long since gone for their demeanor. The last post I saw from Sonic was him politely asking an admin if Dimi's tests had received any feedback and the response was Dean giving a curt, passive aggressive, infantile response where it was not necessary just to swipe at Sonic. Yet he's still here, more than likely because he defends the KPA to the ends of the earth.

If he's gone, then that's a shame the KPA team went that far. If anything the guy got several people on this forum to build the "bravery" to say the things they'd been hearing and the issues they'd had but kept quiet on to not rattle the mob.

• I think the consistent criticism bothered admins, primarily because it was repeated incessantly.

I think you're onto something there, MM. I have a theory:

If he hadn't have interjected so-persistently with his thoughts on the shortcomings of Profiling, especially without specifying the facts that his criticisms were specific to his preferred early-'80s hard-rock tones and therefore very important to him, trivial to most users, barely-audible and only applicable to situations where amps' power stages were cranked along with a fair amount of preamp gain, and done so in the public forum where potential customers would likely have been conducting research, he'd still be here.

IOW, if he'd confined his observations and suggestions to the appropriate private sub-forums, I feel the company would have viewed this as constructive, albeit repetitive criticism. Smatterings of discontent in the public area of a company's forum can't do it any good, and if this was the reason for the ban, it'd be perfectly-understandable IMHO.

If this is indeed the case, I'd like to think Kemper could have at least given him the opportunity to remain here, enlightened as to how, where and to whom his observations ought to have been directed.