Help with harshness

• I noticed that the issue I am facing sounds similar that what the user describes on this post Need some advise on a repair issue.

The difference is that in his case the symptoms are random (come and go) and in my case they are more or less permanent, except that they are a bit more subtle.

Not DI. Just recording of the profile. You can then compare my recording to yours. But can you chose a profile that is free? I will use that. Thanks

* Wrong quote

• Ok - now I get it. I will choose another profile and do another recording.

John - I have not reset the system because I was afraid that I could mess things up before my gig. I try it on the course of this week.

How do I open a support ticket?

John - I have not reset the system because I was afraid that I could mess things up before my gig. I try it on the course of this week.

How do I open a support ticket?

If you follow my instructions, which come directly from the KPA Reference Manual, you will have no issues. You will not lose any data/rigs/profiles. Per the instructions, it will simply re-intialize the Global System Settings so that they are returned to the factory default state. These would be mainly the System and Output settings.

Have you had opportunity to read the user manual?

Seriously, Andre, you should have done this already. I understand that you might have been concerned about losing saved rigs -- however, any such concern should have been assuaged if you had read my post carefully, or had consulted the KPA Reference Manual. Specifically, page 190. Why would you plan on gigging with your Kemper, if it is sounding and behaving so badly, without at least trying this reset?

Here again is a direct copy of the relevant information. I have highlighted (in bold text) the key point, which will hopefully put you at ease. You should make a backup on your USB Flash drive prior to performing this reset, and then make another backup after you have performed this reset. Regular backups are strongly recommended. I make a backup on a weekly basis, and of course before and after I make any firmware updates.

-----------------------------------------------------------

from page 190 of Kemper "Deeper View and Reference Manual 5.1":

Unexpected behavior
    In case any inputs or outputs don’t operate as you would expect, or you experience any other unpredicted behavior, the soft button “Init Globals” in the System Settings will reset most global parameters in the System Settings and Output Section as well as all Lockings to their default state. This way, you are always able to recover a defined state of settings. Your stored Rigs, Presets, Performances, and Slots won’t be impacted by this reset. You could also restore your latest backup, which will recover your complete global settings as well as entire content. We strongly recommended that you create backups whenever you have performed any major parameter adjustments, or created new content, and that you keep your USB stick handy. Given the size of customary USB sticks you could easily keep hundreds of Profiler backup archives available. Another best practice is to store the operating system file “kaos.bin” in the root directory of your USB stick. This way, not only can you effectively upgrade your Profiler, but also keep some additional recovery options.

---------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
    John

• Thanks John.

I haven't read the whole manual, but my learning curve is a very slow one. Technology scares me a bit (a lot actually). I had very little time to experiment with things so I thought it wouldn't be wise take any risks. Foolish, I know...

I will do the resetting tonight and will let you know how it goes.

What I mean is for you to pick a free profile of your liking so that I can record with it and send you the file.

Then you play something similar and see how it sounds compared to kemper. It would help a lot if you use the same monitoring to 1) hear my recording and 2) play your own guitar through the profile.

Also bear in mind I just have humbuckers here atm.

• Hi all, I've buy my Profiler this satursday and I'm in the same case of AndreCau. I've tried so many things to find a solution, even buy a new sound card to plug in SPDIF this morning but it doesn't resolved anything. I'll tried to reset the system evening (even if I just read that it doesn't worked for AndreCau).

The sound that I 've from the KPA is can be discribe as a digital sound : cool, flat, no soul, not distorded with the clean rigs. And it sound to me as all the hi gain are likly the same and all the clean are quite the same too. It's like when you plug your guitar directly in the aux input of a Hi-Fi. <X

I used to play the Amplitube 4 at home and real tube amps with my bands. My KPA sounds really bad.

I've read carrefully all this conversation but I'm sure that the problem come from the KPA, meaby a special setting in the sytem ???

Thanks for help !!!

P.S I'm from Paris (not the same time zone).

"La théorie, c'est quand on sait tout et que rien ne fonctionne. La pratique, c'est quand tout fonctionne et que personne ne sait pourquoi. Ici, nous avons réuni théorie et pratique : Rien ne fonctionne... et personne ne sait pourquoi !" - Albert E.

• Man, it's a good idea to provide some audio and also name the profile. Otherwise it's very difficult to know what's up.

• Please check your output source settings. Make sure to select Master stereo as the output source for the outputs that you use for monitoring. If you still encounter the problem with that setting please send an email with some recordings and a copy of your Profiler backup to [email protected]

• Ok, I'll be back home in 6 hours...

"La théorie, c'est quand on sait tout et que rien ne fonctionne. La pratique, c'est quand tout fonctionne et que personne ne sait pourquoi. Ici, nous avons réuni théorie et pratique : Rien ne fonctionne... et personne ne sait pourquoi !" - Albert E.

• Hi Zero, I strongly encourage you send a request for a supporting ticket to Kemper Amps. They have replied to me quite fast and have been very supportive.

Tonight I will grab my friend's Zoom recorder to try and do some recording. I am really looking forward to it. Will let you folks know how it goes.

Best

Andre

• Ok, I'll do it,

THXS !!!

• Indeed Luntho. So far, that's also what I heard from the Kemper Support people. I still have to do a few more tests, but apparently I've got a deffective unit.
    Thing is I live in Brazil but got the KPA from Thomann in Germany. I am very concerned (desperate) that I may have ended up with a lemon which I won't be able to fix around here...
    Hopefully I will find I am doing something wrong and will make it work without needing to repair. Fingers crossed...
    Andre

• Thing is probably it will cost me an arm and a leg to send it back to Germany, plus Brazilian customs will most certainly charge me a fortune on its way back.

Living in Asia before I had to send back stuff a few times. When it was because of defect, you could show documents and avoid double custom charges (well, adding in a "gift" to show that papers are valid....) So you may wanna look it up and see if it's the same there.