Downloaded rigs sound different than in soundsamples

• Hi there,

figured out the following problem where i wanted to ask you whether you made the same experience.

Sometimes people offer soundsamples of the rigs that they share. After downloading those rigs into my Kemper i
    find that the sound is completely different to what i´ve heard on the sample.

Also, many times the level of frequenzies are not evenly balanced. This causes sometimes way too much bass, digital distorion, etc.

I then try to tweak my input volume, try different guitars, tweak EQ, etc. But i hardly seem to find the same sound or similiar sound.

Of course, it depends on what equipment you listen on, but when i hear the sample on the same monitor speakers as my input signal
    it should be at least similiar, right?

• Fingers, guitar (PU), guitar volume and tone position still makes for the biggest differences....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Well, when somebody else plays through my rig it sounds always very different. The clip that Geneandeddy posted with my TS-1 rig sounds nothing like how it sounds here... Just a fact.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• That's true! I think the best way is to find you own sounds bij browsing the profiles/rigs and if you like one tweak it for your taste. I have made rigs for my strat and Roland guitar and if I find a "better" profile I replace it. I'm very happy with all the shared profiles and cabs! And yes, it's said before but the cabs can make a lot of difference.

• Odd.
    Do you also experience this digital distortion when you make up your own rigs ?
    Have you tried to adjust the KPA input sense ?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

• Yes, it's a good thing to wrote which guitar / PUs were used in a demo song.

btw. in the profiles is a tag for the used guitar / PU's.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Hi,

To some degree I also experience this. I heard a clip with a Super Reverb 65 RI that sounded absolutely wonderful. But when I play it sounds different.

Like Guitarnet70 said it very much depends on the guitar construction (wood, pickups, electronics, etc), guitar chord and playing style but tone can also differ due to preamp used when recording, software used when recording and plugins used (if any) when recording/mixing/mastering.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Hi Mats,

I guess you refer to the sample I have done.
    No preamp, no plugin.

Guitar -> KPA -> Soundcard -> Logic.
    Just a Compressor and a Pure Boost in the KPA stomps slots.

The guitar is a Fender 65 Time machine custom shop strat, which sounds and feel really good.
    I can honestly not tell the difference between my amp and the KPA tone except obviously the Fender 'air pressure' .

What kind of guitar did you use ?

I am pretty sure you would have experienced the same if you had plugged it directly in the amp with my settings.

Cheers

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

• Yes you are right.

I recently figured out that the profiles react to the currently played guitar quiet heavily.

I usually use two guitars: Ibanez JEM 7V with passive DiMarzio Evo´s and one ESP MII Custom with active EMG 81/85.

Naturally those guitars are two different worlds. But there are amps that are sounding okay with one, but are abolutely unplayable with the other.

I never experienced this with other units.

To try Rigs i usually go directly out the Kemper´s Headphone out into my Beyerdynamik DT880 Pro OR into Samplitude > Active Sutdio Monitors (No Plugin, No EQ,nothing)

And when i then A/B the given Web soundsample with my own guitar it sometimes does net even sound close to each other...

Oh... BTW: It´s not that i don´t get good sounds out of the Kemper.. i really love it...

• Hi GAE,

Yes it was your profile and on your soundclip it sounded like 1 million bucks. Just the tone I've been longing for since I don't know when.

I used a Tyler SE HD and while it's a wonderful take on the Strat it is not a vintage strat by any means. I will try you profile with other strats and see what happens. I have one guitar that sort of matches yours. Will be interesting!

I did get the profile to sound really good but different.

Did you use the comp and boost when you recorded your clip?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Yes, I did.

By the way, I also have a Tyler Elite HD, and it is not in the same ballpark.
    Not better, not worst, just different.
    The time machine strat's neck pickup is really amazing.
    I have tried a lot of CS Strat and it is the best I have heard.
    The Tyler sounds more modern.

Oops, sorry, back to the topic now.

Edited 2 times, last by GeneAndEddy ().

• The time machine strat's neck pickup is really amazing.
    I have tried a lot of CS Strat and it is the best I have heard.

Does that start have a rosewood or maple fingerboard?
    Do you know what the pickups in your CS strat are called?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Rosewood.
    The pickups are handmade so they have no name AFAIK
    If you want more info, just PM me, I don't want to spoil the topic ;)