Running 2 midi devices with KPA. How do I set it up?

• Is anyone running 2 midi devices with their KPA? I'm going to be running both an Eventide H9 and Line 6 M5. (I know, I know, but the M5 has 2 effects I cannot replicate anywhere else). I am using a Midi Solutions Thru to get midi to both. Each one is set up in the Kemper for its respective channel. How do I get each device to turn off/on and also be able to switch presets within each pedal? Maybe I'm missing something but I do not believe it is possible.

Also, anyone using an H9? I did use just the H9 for a while. I would just leave it on and select presets and turn the loop on or off to hear it. I usually would select the preset I wanted in the H9 in Performance 1. The problem is that every time I'd go back to Performance 1 it reloads the H9 preset and there is a noticeable pause in the H9. One of the only downsides I've noticed in the H9 is the lag time when changing presets. It would be nice if it wouldn't reload the same scene if it is selected again.

I'd love to hear how everyone is running their H9s and/or controlling 2 midi devices.

Music is my religion.

• Cool. Not sure that will work for me but it's awesome. I am currently controlling the KPA with the Remote. I may need to change my controller to something that sends midi info so I have more control. I own a Boss ES-8 that could work. It's just such a bitch to program. The Remote is so easy to use. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, if you're using the Remote you are limited to 2 changes per Performance slot. You can either make 1 change each for 2 devices or 2 changes for 1 device. Very limiting. Unless I'm missing something.

Music is my religion.

• Correct, the Profiler itself can send one or two MIDI program changes to one or two external devices on the same or different MIDI channels via one or two cables at time of Slot load in Performance Mode.

So, whenever you load a Slot you can load the appropriate programs - or presets, however its called - in your H9 and M5. To leverage this functionality it doesn't matter, if you load the Slot via Remote, MIDI, analog switch, or manually. You could use an iPad app like SetListMaker or BandHelper and load the Slot via wireless MIDI with a Yamaha MD-BT01 or Quicco Sound mi.1 even while the Remote is connected. And when the Slot gets loaded, the two external devices would follow.

In addition, the four pedal controllers (Wah = CC#1, pitch = CC#4, volume = CC#7, Morph = CC#11) can be forwarded to those two external devices, too. Since 5.3.1 Release there is a global option for that: "Pedals to MIDI". So, you could for example load a Slot without a Wah effect and use your Wah Pedal connected to your Remote to control any parameter in your external devices attached to this control change #1.

That's it so far. The Remote is a highly specialized and integrated remote control for the Profiler, not a universal MIDI footcontroller, not even MIDI.

• Awesome. I love the Remote and I will try these suggestions.

Thank you for all of the help guys. Sometimes when you look at something too close for too long you miss the simple solution that's right in your face.

Music is my religion.

• My question is similar to the one above:
    I want to use the midi out of the KPA to switch channels of my EVH 5150 (50 Watt, has midi connection). I know how to assign amp channels to other midi gear, for I used the EVH with a G-Major without Problems in the past.
    But so far I could not manage to switch amp channels in this combination. I use the 4 cable method betwenn KPA and EVH.

p.s. I already put this question elsewhere on the forum but did not get any feedback. I'm really thankful for any suggestions.

• Thanks for responding.
    That's what I tried. I really dig myself into the manual and tried all kinds of "things" within "midi-Settings" in the KPA. Without success. I'm sure that there must be a way to controll the amp channels, for the EVH is a rather simple device regarding its midi-funcions. With other devices ( like G-Major) the assignment is done at the amp by pressing both channel buttons at once (buttons beginn to flash) and simply then selecting the midi setting of the device and then pressing both buttons at the amp once more. So the amp learns which channel it has to activate according to the incoming midi-signal. Very simple. Of course I tried this as well...

• The Profiler only sends the MIDI program change commands that you assigned for a slot in a performance when you actually select that slot. If your external device needs to "learn" that MIDI program change number you need to select the slot in the Profiler while you keep holding down those buttons on your external device.

• Thanks,
    yes, I know this, but that is exactly what does NOT work. I don't know why... I will keep on trying and searching this and other forums... any help is appreciated!

• The KPA allows you to define MIDI Device 1 and 2 - you configure the MIDI channel of Device 1 and/or 2, And whether to send the command via the KPA MIDI Out jack or MIDI THRU jack.

The MIDI PC is saved in the Performance Slot.

Do you have a cable from the jack you configured connected to the MIDI IN of your amplifier? Does your amplifier automatically learn both MIDI Channel and PC, or is the MIDI channel a fixed value?

• Yes, I have a midi cable connection between midi in of the amp and the jack I specified in the KPA. I tried midi out and midi thru and changed the midi settings according to the jack several times. No results...

• The RJM seems to be a great controller. But this is way above my budget. I forget to mention that I use the Kemper Remote in my setup. But all my search for a solution to this particular question mentioned above has been in vain so far....:-(.

• you should send a support ticket, attach a backup, and describe, what you are exactly expecting to happen, when you load Performance x Slot y. Which MIDI program change via which MIDI socket and which MIDI channel.

• Actually in another post someone had the same issue. They set up a patch in each external unit, like a volume set all the way up. That way you can select that patch and not have to turn it off. It works as a pass thru without having to have another change for on/off. It works great.

Music is my religion.