Remote screen turns white on expression pedal's toe down

• My Kemper Remote pedal's screen turns white (the black letters in the display turn whiter & whiter gradually to match the white background in the remote's display) when I use my expression pedal when I move it to the toe down position. My pedal seems to work fine (volume pedal works, morphing works). I'm using the source audio reflex universal expression pedal. I have the DIP switches for the reflex pedal configured as follows, and I want to be 100% sure I'm not hurting the kemper remote, kemper amp, nor the expression pedal:

"Devices like modular synthesizers can be controlled by the Reflex if its outputs are configured in
    active control voltage mode. In this mode, an internal 5 Volt source is connected to the
    potentiometer, and an active control voltage is output on the tip contact. This configuration requires
    a mono (TS) cable. In this mode, the corresponding DIP switches 1 to 5 should be set On, Off, Off, Off,
    On, respectively."

I'm using the output jack on the expression pedal which has a passive 10 kΩ expression output (the expression pedal's documentation states the following for this jack: "By default, the ring contact is power, the sleeve contact is ground,
    and the tip contact is ground.")

As I lower the expression pedal's maximum output setting (the setting for when it's in toe down position) from 128 to 125 the letters in the display get slightly darker & more readable. Then if I lower it to 120 then to 115, the letters get more readable. When the setting reaches 110, the level of blackness in the letters are back to normal. I can try posting a pic later if that would help.

Thanks.

• I forgot to mention that I'm using the latest Kemper beta firmware. I've never had a problem using beta firmware with it, but maybe that's what's causing this - who knows? I'm out now but will try to post a video tonight.

• As far I understood from a quick view in the manual it needs to be configurated as passive expression pedal connected via one TRS-cable.
    It can be configurated for an active voltage supply (0-5 V) to control synthies or similars with a TS-cable.

What you are doing is to feed the remote with a powersignal. Less robust devices would not react so harmlessly. ;)

The kemper need definitive a passive configuration with TRS cable. I propose input 1 or 2 with the common value. 10 kOhm.-
    Input 3 has 50 kOhm - I think but am not sure the Kemper can also live with 50 kOhm.

• I was getting the same whiteness problem when I originally only had the expression pedal connected using 1 output instead of 2 outputs (which show in the video). I can post a video using just one TRS connecting the pedal to the kemper remote, but there won't be any difference in the whiteness problem. The reflex has 3 outputs, so it can act as 3 different pedals by changing the output on the reflex pedal from output 1 to output 2, so this is why there are 2 TRS cables coming from the pedal. My pedalboard is small, so my goal was to send midi from the kemper to the pedal to change the active pedal output from 1 to 2 ( I've already tried this & it seems to work). To change the active output jack on the pedal from 1 to 2 without midi, you have to bend over & twist the knob on top of the reflex expression pedal.

• As Sharry already pointed out: the pedal you are using has a function that allows you to switch each output from either sending a passive or an active control signal.The Profiler can only deal with the standard passive signal.

• Just ordered my new Dunlop DVP4 & it doesn't work. I tried 3 of the jacks on the back of the remote. I also switched the DIP switches inside the pedal to all combinations. I went into the system menu on the kemper amp to select mode pedal type 1 then type 2, then calibrate, moved the pedal back/forth, and the horizontal calibrate bar doesn't move at all. Boy oh boy am I frustrated with expression pedals & kemper. I am getting close to going back to my tried and true tube amp. It really shouldn't be this hard. As I noted above, I also tried the Source Audio Reflex expression pedal that is designed to be flexible enough to work with anything under the sun and couldn't get that to work too after trying every possible combination & DIP switch on it (only the active signal worked however that caused the remote screen to whiten the letters so I stopped using it & returned it). Now I can't get the Dunlop DVP4 to work. Should I contact Kemper directly ( I think i saw an this phone number which I may try calling next week if I can't get this figured out: +49 700-PROFILING )? Why oh why is this happening? I'm a busy musician & don't have the time nor the money to be buying every expression pedal under the sun then returning it after finding it doesn't work. Help. Please please please.

Thanks

• I don't have a trs cable but I have a sneaky suspicion that's what's been causing my problem. I've never had a need for a trs, so tomorrow I'll go buy one & try it. Talk about frustrating. Really super frustrating, and that's something neither the Kemper company nor any users want - everyone wants Kemper stuff to be easy (and to tell you the truth, up until now it has been very easy & lots of fun, so I'm not going to let this expression pedal issue ruin the rest of my rewarding & happy Kemper experience), so I have some suggestions:
    1) If trs cables fix my problem, it seems sensible to ask about having the Kemper amp or profiler remote tell users maybe via an error message somewhere/somehow they're using the wrong cable. That would make it more user friendly for those folks who don't want to scour through 200 pages in the main manual which is where I saw trs mentioned. To tell the truth I actually did read the whole manual [no lies, I really did, & I found it super interesting], then went back through the sections related to expression pedals a few times while troubleshooting this.
    2) Maybe putting trs in big bold letters would help - who knows? This all assumes the trs fixes my problem.

If I'm the only person that's ever had this problem, then that's okay too, in which case maybe my suggestion above don't apply.

Thanks.

• In principle, I would say that a user manual and an operating system do not have to point out every possible error.
    If TRS cable is written there, then it also means a TRS cable.

It seems you may have found a possible mistake.
    It is therefore not surprising that you didn't see anything during calibration with a TR cable. A less robust device would not react so harmlessly to a short cut.

Have fun with the Kemper. He reacts rather well to mistakes and is not immediately destroyed.

But it is not a toy for children and still requires some learning effort.

• Every expression pedal needs a TRS cable to control a device.This is not unique to the Profiler but of course explained in our manual. Since we offer all of our documentation in PDF format it literally takes a second to find a topic by typing the proper word into the search field.
    I don't know about the manuals of your pedals but i would be surprised if this type of info is not included.
    Furthermore it was mentioned in this thread numerous times and you first claimed that you were using TRS cables.

Once you solved your problem by using the proper cable please add the word solved to the name of your thread.

• Solved. I got back from tonight's gig after hooking up a TRS to my DVP4 & Kemper, & it works fine. Actually I can't believe how awesome the morph function is with the kemper. Wow, pure joy. My apologies for using the TS instead of the TRS. I honestly had never used a TRS cable & thought all along that I was using one, but it was really as TS cable. I honestly did read the manual & forum feedback, and only realized TRS may be the problem when noticing the black ring on my patch cable, then YouTubeing a little to learn about the differences between TS & TRS.