Good video! Will Tim Pierce release profiles of his amps?

• A fun video with Tim Pierce and Uwe Bossert profiling Tim's amps and AB comparing.
    Very nice collection of amps.
    The discussion that follows in the comment section is the usual one about real vs kemper and ethics of profiling.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If vs clips are made with the purpose of making people guess I prefer the ABX blindtest. That's the only way to bypass our confirmation bias and therefore is the method used in science every day. That way you will never have the easy 50% chance that either 1 or 2 is real or kemper. With ABX any sample could be anything which makes it much harder to guess. It can be 8 real, 3 kemper, 2 real, 12 kemper, sometimes the same clip plays several times in a row with slightly different starting position etc.

Even better is to create a song track with invisible frequent random seamless transitions between kemper and real amp.
    Then it becomes much more difficult because we must then say the exact length of each time interval we think we hear kemper or amp.
    A few of these tests have been posted and nobody was correct.

This in a way is similar to the lossless vs mp3 discussions.
    With the mp3 lame setting v2, many studies show this is where the majority of listeners fail to hear the difference, therefore v2 is the default setting. At v1 even fewer can tell and at v0 nobody can pick 100% correct consistently on a mixed set of songs.
    I often to these ABX tests with friends, some are "audiophiles". Many skeptics who just know they will be correct are surprised they can't tell the difference. Some get angry and frustrated and are so focused on that there must be differences they can hear because the mp3 is about 80% compressed and the files are not identical.

Me and my friends have been completely fooled by the kemper many times, and only a few times we notice a small difference.
    To me that small difference does not make people with trained ears think it's kemper and not real if they heard it in a random situation when they are not told it was kemper (removing their confirmation bias).
    That is a difference compared to a low bitrate mp3 where the cymbals sounds terrible and often becomes unlistenable and its easy for people with trained ears to say, wow thats the bad "mp3 sound". Some high treble material like cymbals is the easy way to hear the "mp3 signature sound" at lower mp3 bitrates. At higher bitrates it is not heard.