Something a bit different: Kemper and acoustic violin

• So, I've been trying out a few different techniques for recording and mixing my acoustic violin. Here, I used a Fender Champ profile mostly to beef up the signal from the Mid-Side and Vocal microphones (somewhat like a paralell compressor). For the second half of the solo I used the KPA overdrive on the same profile. Both the looper and the octaver are external though. Anyway feedback for further recordings would be appreciated. Hope you guys enjoy!

p.s.: Full disclosure: While I really love Gypsy Jazz, its not my main musical style, so sorry for the somewhat sloppy playing...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's really interesting man.

I gotta behonest though I was hoping for that classic Grappelli lick as this has been afavorite song of mine for many, many moons.

A bit busy for me when everything is looped, maybe abit loud in the mix? Nevertheless, nice arrangement and well donepiece for sure. You sure nailed his sound at the beginning.

Cheers

• Hey, first of all thanks for the feedback!

I gotta behonest though I was hoping for that classic Grappelli lick

Yup, I know what you mean. Thing is though, with a song like Minor Swing, its sorta difficult finding a balance between the established and the new. Its sorta like staging a Shakespeare play I guess. I mean, how is one supposed to say the "to be or not to be" soliloquy and have it sound fresh after the thousands and thousands of people that have done it before (and likely much better than) you... In the case of Grapelli its just almost impossible to try to top his lyrical virtuosity and my personal issue is that I sometimes have the feeling, when using one of his trademark licks, that I can easily fall into mimicking his style too much. And since I'm a million years away from his talent and groove that just doesn't work so well for me... :P

Anyway, maybe I'll still give it a try with one or two licks next time ;)

A bit busy for me when everything is looped, maybe abit loud in the mix?

Any specific passage you're referring to here or do you mean it in general? Is the loop itself what you find to loud or the violin?

Cheers!

• @Verminante

Man I love this very much.

I use the kemper also for some ethno-influenced stuff (using several pitch/harmonizers/octavers at once together with overdrive) to make it sound like some double string instruments(oud/bouzouki/lute etc) on crack..still working on it.. :/:D

I use an acoustic profile(while playing a strat) from a baldringer-preamp.Works also nice with some OD/Boost/Dist-pedals.

• Hey, first of all thanks for the feedback!

Yup, I know what you mean. Thing is though, with a song like Minor Swing, its sorta difficult finding a balance between the established and the new. Its sorta like staging a Shakespeare play I guess. I mean, how is one supposed to say the "to be or not to be" soliloquy and have it sound fresh after the thousands and thousands of people that have done it before (and likely much better than) you... In the case of Grapelli its just almost impossible to try to top his lyrical virtuosity and my personal issue is that I sometimes have the feeling, when using one of his trademark licks, that I can easily fall into mimicking his style too much. And since I'm a million years away from his talent and groove that just doesn't work so well for me... :P
    Anyway, maybe I'll still give it a try with one or two licks next time ;)

Any specific passage you're referring to here or do you mean it in general? Is the loop itself what you find to loud or the violin?
    Cheers!

No worries, I think your playing is great man. :D

You're rendition/interpretation here is solid and I agree with your analogy, it is tough to be original. I prefer it when an artist puts their own spin, flare and technique on a cover rather than exact note for note robotic playing (that can have a time and place too).

With regards to the loop I feel it starts out solid with the violin but by the time you add the vocal harmonies and come out of that passage plus add the modulation it gets kinda complicated/busy. Overall volume of that particular section you may want to lower just a bit but when you hit the outro it's bang on, nice dynamics and well played. Especially like the tails for the ending.

Either way it's a cool piece of work, I wish I could play violin.. period. :thumbup:

Ps. I hit your YT channel, nice stuffs there too!

Cheers,

Shawn

• Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Nikos I'm really curious about that "ethno-influenced stuff" you mentioned. Any chance we might get to hear some sound samples? :)

@808illest Thanks for checking out the YT channel. I haven't really had enough time to record my own stuff lately so in the meantime I'm doing these "naked covers" and free improvisations to try things out so your comments are much appreciated ;)

Saludos!

David

• @Verminante

Well yes.Sooner or later I will torture the world with my experiments.I am still searching for the right musicians to get the "right mix"..while I found the "traditional" ones with an open mind it is somewhat difficult to find me the "rockers"(most of all a drummer) who understand what it is all about..

Is it not funny and strange that guys who play Mike Portnoy-stuff with closed eyes cant understand some basic 7/8 & 9/8 grooves; :D