Monitors for Kemper ( home recording )

• Hello everybody i hope u are keeping well , I have a couple of questions i hope you can help me out with.
    my setup : kemper powerhead connected to a scarlett focusrite 2i4 solo and (at the moment) I'm using 2 Maudio BX5 monitors (connected to the scarlett also) I then record everything in logicX.
    My prob is that the sound i get from that set up is not even close to what i get when i play using headphones ( its actually quite crap )and for that I'm blaming the Maudio Monitors , so i m thinking about getting something better.
    questions are

1 do you think the problem are actually those monitors or may be something else ?
    2 which monitors would you suggest ? I ve read good reviews about the yamaha Hs7 and 8 would i notice a big change using em instead?

please notice i only play at home in my room and what I'm looking for is just for home recording and mixing so can't really go too loud with the volume and i don't do live gigs or anything like that.

Thank you for reading guys

• Hi @sercho !
    unfortunately the 2i4 doesnt have spdif so what i have at the moment is

1/4 jack ( mono) from the Main Output (left) of the kemper into the scarlett
    monitors are connected to the scarlett by 2 XLR to 1/4 inch cables also mono (the 1/4 inch end goes into the scarlett)
    I must confess i m a complete noob when it comes to this things

cheers

• It sounds different to your headphones (stereo) because you're only going mono from the Kemper to your interface. Use both main outputs of the Kemper to two inputs of your interface. Make the two inputs a stereo pair and/or pan them hard left and right. Make sure the Kemper's main outs are set to "Master Stereo".

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Your room and speaker placement also plays a huge role on how the monitors sound. Do you have sound treatment in your room?

A good and free way to start is to get a db meter app to your phone, load a frequency generator in your browser and start comparing. Which frequencies are louder, which are quieter? For example if you have too much low end just moving your speakers so that they're next to a window can reduce your low end. And make sure they're elevated off the table top surface!

Edit:
    Here's a pretty good crash course to speaker placement: https://crossfadr.com/2013/04/…studio-monitor-placement/

More in depth:
    https://www.genelec.com/docume…itor_Setup_Guide_2011.pdf

• Good idea @nakedzen. What frequencies would you listen to? I mean you sure won't listen to each frequency (e.g. 80 Hz, 81 Hz, 82 Hz...) but going foward in steps. What do you suggest?

• I m gona try that thanks ! but the reason why i go mono is because when i record i play the same track twice and then pan em hard right hard left so i actually get the stereo sound but im still not happy . its hard to explain its pretty distorted theres background noise it just doesnt sound good to me, thats why as i said i was thinking about buying new monitors , the maudio are not bad but i feel like if I bought an amazing camera but im mounting a bad lens on it.

Edited once, last by marcozzz ().

• Distortion and background noise sounds like a level issue. Check if the interface's inputs are switchable line/mic and choose line.

• i ve just tried that actually , its pretty much the same , i probably should have been a bit more specific with the question , what im looking for is mostly suggestions about a good pair of monitors for home recording

• I get your point regarding the suggestions for monitors but the question is if your current monitors are really the issue. What if you're listening to a CD or YT? Bad sound too?

• Wait a minute and think. If CD is ok but recording is distorted with background noise then your monitors are likely not the issue. Yes, you can buy a new pair of monitors but what if the problems stay the same? Just sayin'...

• I'd definitely try to make it sound right with your monitors. Have you ckecked your output section? Spend a while experimenting different things. Maybe you're sending just the stack section to the main out or something like that...

BTW, could you post a sound clip showing how is it sounding ATM?

And then, go and get yourself a better pair of pseakers if you want ;)

cheers