Using main outputs for FOH

• On stage we want to play without amps or cabs. For this I connected the two main outputs to a mixer and from there to 2 powered QSC 1000 W for FOH. Also I have to dial Main Out Output settings all the way to the max volume (600W ?) to get a decent volume, with mixer faders halfway. But even then the sound doesn't blow me away...It all sounds very cheap with all kinds of different rigs. There's no trace of those so-called warm valve amp profiled sounds. What is wrong here?

• With the next gig coming up, there's another problem concerning this. With the mixer's gain full down, the meters for the incoming guitar signal turn to yellow/red when playing. This can't be right.
    The main outs are all the way up set to 0.9 dB (!!) to get a decent volume. Again: without using a live cab.
    Anyone for help?

• Ok you’ve got me a little confused. Your input is too hot from your kpa into your desk but you aren’t getting a loud enough signal?

Ok, too hot a signal from main outs is common. If you search you’ll see lots of advice on the forum about engaging the -12db on outputs. (Think it’s -12 but not got kpa in front of me). Otherwise turn your outs down in your output section.

You say you turn up your kpa to max, 600 Watts, in your op. Are you confusing the power amp version or controls with main out? If you’re going to foh via main outs, you aren’t sending a power watt rating.

Does the sound come across bad simply cos you’re clipping your desk? Sounds likely here.

Or I’ve got completely confused by your post :thumbup:

• I agree: with the Main Outputs that high, you're getting an insanely strong signal into the desk, which explains the clipping (yellow/red meter), so you must be losing volume somewhere downstream from the mixer.

I have no specific advice but just want to say: be very careful while troubleshooting. If you "accidentally" correct the problem with the Kemper's full signal going into 1000W powered speakers, you'll break your equipment, your ears and possibly your neighborhood. :/ You should probably start by turning the main outputs way down (or at least engaging the -12dB setting).

• Just a rule something out idea. Try the Main outs of KPA directly to the 2 QSCs' and see how it sounds. The 600W thing kinda has me confused cause your using powered PA speakers with 1000W max.

• In the output section of my kpa the level of pwr amp boost is increased to 5 dB.
    (...)
    Where are my 600 W to have at least a decent volume reserve when needed?

I assume you have the Kemper model with power amp. But that has nothing to do with the Main Output (the stereo one, that has both XLR and TS outputs). The power amp in the Kemper only affects the dedicated power amp output, which is meant for use with passive cabinets. The power amp boost and the 600 W spec all apply there, not to the Main Output.

In your case, going into a mixing desk, you should be using the Main Output, which I assume you are. In that case, make sure that the volume you're raising in the Kemper is indeed the Main Output volume. Press the Output button, then use the Page buttons to find the second page (starting from the leftmost page). There, you can see the individual volumes for each physical output. The one on the left (Main Volume) is the one you need. (You may know this already but I just want to make sure you're turning the correct knob.)

So to sum up:

* 600 W power amp / power amp boost setting:
    => These apply to the Power Amp output (the one with the red ring), meant for passive cabinets
    => Do NOT use it into your mixing desk or active speakers!

* Use the unpowered Main Output (either XLR or TS)
    => Adjust its volume individually in output settings
    => Definitely start troubleshooting with lower volume settings, both in the Kemper and on your other gear, to avoid cataclysmic volumes.

• The mention of 600w is just confusing me tbh. You are using main outs to desk. The desk is going to powered pa speakers. That means ALL amplification is coming from the powered speakers, not the kpa. All I can tell you i that I use main out set to mono; xlr to desk; desk to powered monitors and I have no problem playing with drums etc. So it's not the KPA in general that's the issue.

You've written above "The two outs from my kpa go into the output of the mixer". I assume you've just made a mistake when writing that?

• You've written above "The two outs from my kpa go into the output of the mixer". I assume you've just made a mistake when writing that?

No, this is not a mistake. I thought this because of the stereo of the fx in rigs...But I can be wrong about that.

As above, hope youre not using your 'speaker output' of a powered version and are using main outs

There's not a cab attached to the powered kpa. As I wrote before: I play in ear so the 2 main outs go directly to the mixing desk and from there to the 2 powered FOH speakers

All I can tell you i that I use main out set to mono; xlr to desk; desk to powered monitors and I have no problem playing with drums etc. So it's not the KPA in general that's the issue.

So this would solve the whole problem? The only difference now is that I use two jack-cables to the mixing desk.

Edited 2 times, last by theplayer ().

• Check if the -12dB option in output menu is enabled. If yes, disable it to get more volume out of the main outs. Also keep in mind that some desks automatically are engaging mic preamps when XLR's are plugged in (this should be no problem in your case as you're using jack-cables). On your desk check if there's an input-option to choose between mic and line level. If yes, choose line level.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Mainout -12 dB funktion in output menue on!
    Output mainout master stereo. Prox. - 18 dB main output volume.

Xlr left and xlr Rigs right from kpa xlr mainouts to xlr mixer input.

Check the meter range ( input sensity mixer).With your 1000 watt qsc you get a lot power and a cool sound to foh, if you use the right rigs.

• Take the poweramp out of the equation, as it has no bearing on the main output signal. Make sure the volumes are unlinked!

It should be easy to set the main output to around -18 db and get a good signal on the desk as described below. Use XLR's to the desk, make sure phantom power is not on...

If you get a good signal then its really about the desk to the powered speakers...

• Check if the -12dB option in output menu is enabled. If yes, disable it to get more volume out of the main outs. Also keep in mind that some desks automatically are engaging mic preamps when XLR's are plugged in (this should be no problem in your case as you're using jack-cables). On your desk check if there's an input-option to choose between mic and line level. If yes, choose line level.

-12 dB disabled doesn't change the situation. I always choose line in levels

Mainout -12 dB funktion in output menue on!
    Output mainout master stereo. Prox. - 18 dB main output volume.

Xlr left and xlr Rigs right from kpa xlr mainouts to xlr mixer input.

Check the meter range ( input sensity mixer).With your 1000 watt qsc you get a lot power and a cool sound to foh, if you use the right rigs.

OK. And now the Main Out -12dB back again to on. Like you wrote I have put it on -18dB. I now used the 2 xlr outs with 2 xlr mike cables to the mixing desk but this doesn' t makes any changes. The gains can't handle much input until 0 dB and before clipping on the meter range.
    I set also pedal volume in RIG to +5 but pressing pedal to the max doesn't give that extra volume what I was hoping for.
    Yet, there should be 500 W (potmeter halfway up) coming from the powered QSC speakers, with the guitar input faders almost halfway and the master faders for acceptable volume range for other instruments.Indeed I should have al lot of power to work with, but no...

I guess I'm condemned to use an extra cabinet and put mikes in front of that to go FOH, since the monitor out gives me much more volume. Those main outs stay far behind and are not usable for this.