Wireless stereo IEM system

• Until recently I used an IEM solution which was quite highly priced. Now it broke and I wonder if it is necessary to spend $600+ for a wireless IEM solution nowadays. Do you have any recommendation for budget wireless IEM systems? How do they compete against the highly priced industry "standards"? I need a reliable stable system and it is not about the last $$$ I do not want to spend. But since radio is no rocket science anymore what is the justification for these huge price differences in this product category?

I found these:

ANT ING30
    [Blocked Image: https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/prod/416889.jpg]

LD Systems MEI 1000 G2
    [Blocked Image: https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/prod/315469.jpg]

LD Systems MEI 100 G2
    [Blocked Image: https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/prod/315461.jpg]

• I'm interested in this as well. I've also wondered about using a wired IEM, which is considerably cheaper. I know it doesn't provide the flexible movement of wireless, but some reviews I've read make me think it's still a better solution than standard speaker-type monitors.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I guess it depends on how much moving around you do. I’m pretty stationary so our wired aux from the X32 is ideal. I use 535s with moulded tips and they’re really good

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I guess it depends on how much moving around you do. I’m pretty stationary so our wired aux from the X32 is ideal. I use 535s with moulded tips and they’re really good

Don't you need some type of amp to drive them?

• I normally use a Sennheiser EW-300 G3 system which is among the "industry standard" ones at €1000+ for a transmitter/receiver kit. Recently I did a couple gigs with a much cheaper ANT ING200 kit (€210) and to be honest didn't notice any difference at all. I don't know how well the cheaper systems hold up over time, but in terms of audio quality I think your money is better spent on good earplugs (custom moulds if you can afford them).

• Don't you need some type of amp to drive them

I don’t think so, as far as I know, they’re driven by the aux outs. My pal did some creative wiring back to our stage box and I have his basic wiring diagrams somewhere. The sound in my in ears is excellent and it really helps to be able to set my own levels through the app. I notice others have a prob;em with sound back from desks but this is not my experience. I can find out if you’re interested

• I don’t think so, as far as I know, they’re driven by the aux outs. My pal did some creative wiring back to our stage box and I have his basic wiring diagrams somewhere. The sound in my in ears is excellent and it really helps to be able to set my own levels through the app. I notice others have a prob;em with sound back from desks but this is not my experience. I can find out if you’re interested

Thanks. I def would be interested in what you're doing with it. Thank you!

• I normally use a Sennheiser EW-300 G3 system which is among the "industry standard" ones at €1000+ for a transmitter/receiver kit. Recently I did a couple gigs with a much cheaper ANT ING200 kit (€210) and to be honest didn't notice any difference at all. I don't know how well the cheaper systems hold up over time, but in terms of audio quality I think your money is better spent on good earplugs (custom moulds if you can afford them).

That's pretty interesting. When I last used my LD MEI 100 I'd been considering getting the Sennheiser. In isolation at home, I could hear what the LD was doing to the signal.

But at the gig, it sounded just fine. I had a great balanced sound with great detail. I'm aware that many pro bands use full size paddle antenna and distribution units to prevent dropouts. I guess that much of the problem is the limitations of the technology.

• Thanks. I def would be interested in what you're doing with it. Thank you!

I’ll let you know when I find out

• I have had 2 LD Systems and the Sennheiser:

LD MEI 100 - I wouldn't personally recommend this one because of the built in eq that boosts 6db at 10khz. It made all my guitar tones a bit too fizzy.

LD MEI 1000 - brilliant for the price point in full stereo and you can turn off the treble boost. Made my friend's expensive Shure PSM 200 look pretty poor because it only operates in mono. A stereo system is imperitive if you want a full mix.

Sennheiser EW 300 - Obviously better and I don't experience minor dropouts with this system. However, it does require careful gain structuring because there is a hiss if you don't get it right. I am not sure the price difference is justified unless you do a lot of shows though.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• @karlic Are you referencing the LD Systems MEI ("G1") or the G2 units?

I now got a LD Systems MEI 100 G2 used at a good price point. After trying it in rehearsal and live I will post some experiences. Currently I am using a cabled Fischer Amps (German company) Bodypack, which is very good from a sound perspective but having 3 cables at max (guitar + stereo IEM) sucks as a guitarist ...

• @karlic Are you referencing the LD Systems MEI ("G1") or the G2 units?

I now got a LD Systems MEI 100 G2 used at a good price point. After trying it in rehearsal and live I will post some experiences. Currently I am using a cabled Fischer Amps (German company) Bodypack, which is very good from a sound perspective but having 3 cables at max (guitar + stereo IEM) sucks as a guitarist ...

My LD experiences were both within the last 2 years and G2. Don't let me put you off, because I think it is all very subjective and dependent on your own tone.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7