Best DI for profiling amps

• I searched the forums and didn't find an answer, so please help me if you can.

My profiler rack will be here on Tuesday, and I intend to model all my amps (10 heads). I would prefer to model the heads through a DI, then apply cabinet impulses from Celestion, or internal cabinets from Kemper. I would like to know what some good options are for doing the DI profiling. The Kemper DI is out of stock on their store, and has been for a while. I have a Rivera Mini RocRec, but the XLR output is not unfiltered, so it is not a completely unfettered signal. I have a bunch of Hughes & Kettner Redbox units, but they always have a speaker emulator on.

What are you guys using to do your direct profiles? I was hoping to use the Rivera so I could turn the amp up loud using the load box in it and then record the DI signal, but the XLR is still filtered even if you turn the cabinet emulation off. Is something cheap like the Behringer Ultra-G a fine option?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the list of amps I am profiling:

Marshall 1959 Super Lead 100
    Splawn Quick Rod
    Budda Superdrive 30
    Budda Bully
    Ceriatone Yeti
    Friedman BE-100
    Peavey Invective .120
    Peavey 6505+
    Peavey 5150 blockletter
    Peavey Sensation 20

If there are already perfect models of these amps, I might skip profiling my own. I am completely new to this, so I am not sure if it is good to model my personal amps with various settings that might not be available in commercial profiles.

• Welcome, nice collection!

I would recommend getting the Kemper DI, I just checked and it says they're in stock? I'm no authority on profiling but I think it's your best bet.

"Perfect models" is purely subjective to the player and profiler. I say go for it, have fun with it and learn from the experience. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Look forward to hearing some of these beauties if we're lucky! :thumbup:

• Which store are you using? I tried to order from stores other than the United States store and couldn't do it. The US store is out of stock on the DI. The Kemper box is definitely the one I was wanting to use.

I will certainly post the profiles when I get everything figured out!

• reading your first post, I just want to point out that there are basically two different types of DI boxes: some can deal with speaker level signals, others can't.

If you plan to make Direct Amp Profiles (Profiler's send -> amp -> DI box [with line level out the the Profiler's return] -> cabinet) please make sure the DI box can work with speaker level signals.

Also make sure you know exactly what you are doing when connecting these devices (correct cables etc.) since a tube power amp without a load can cause severe damage to the amp.

It's all described in our manuals.

Thanks & nice amps! :)

• Best direct box I have found so far is the countryman 85, I have tried a total of eight different ones direct profiling, and so far this one is the best, although I have not been able to get hold of a Kemper DI box yet...
    A friend of mine does have Kemper DI but he lives too far away, he says it works well, but he’s never tried the countrymen 85, so it’s hard to compare, I think either one would be excellent, way better than the light pieces of garbage that are out there… I’ve tried lots of junk :D

• I have used direct boxes from my amps for many years when touring... usually the RedBox, so I am fully up to speed on them. Never ever ever ever ever turn a tube amplifier on without a load. :)

I really wanted to use the Rivera Mini Rock Crusher Rec to do profiling, since I have one, but the XLR output is still filtered. I want to be able to use the load box to turn the amp up and get more characteristics of the power tubes. I am going to try it with the unfiltered unbalanced output, but I am not sure about the noise potential.

I don't know if you have any insight into this, but do you have any idea when the Kemper DI will be back in stock in the US store?

THANKS!

• Best direct box I have found so far is the countryman 85, I have tried a total of eight different ones direct profiling, and so far this one is the best, although I have not been able to get hold of a Kemper DI box yet...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into one of those right away. I really appreciate the help!

• I just ordered the Countryman 85 DI. I am going to run the amp output to the Countryman and the through to the Rivera Mini RockRec to use as a load box, then the XLR of the Countryman to the Kemper. This should be a nice, clean path for modeling, I think!

I will let everyone know how it works out, and I will share some profiles.

• Yes, Don is right… Even when doing direct profile, better to use a real speaker as your load, the amplifier itself will not interact properly with a dummy load, it will live and breathe From real speaker connection which affects everything in the amplifier, the way tubes respond, the way the transformers respond and interact…

• Just my opinion, brother… But the only Amplifier you will need to really crank up for profiling is your Marshall super lead…
    Looking at your list of amplifiers, that’s the only one I can see that will really benefit, obviously because it has no master volume…
    Have fun!

• I put three Ceriatone Yeti profiles on the Rig Exchange this evening... they were all done with the Countryman Type 85 DI. They are direct profiles with no cabinet associated. They sound absolutely amazing here going through a 412 cabinet with V30s.

The profiles are:

Ceriatone Yeti Med-Gain
    Ceriatone Yeti Med-Gain2
    Ceriatone Yeti LM-Gain

Although these are not "high-gain" profiles, they definitely have some balls to them.

If you have a chance, please try them out and let me know if there is anything I can do better, or offer any hints you have.

THANKS!

NOTE: The DI looped back to a cabinet, so there was no load box as I originally intended. Thanks, DonPeterson!

• Ceriatone Yeti Med Gain2 - Awesome profile brother! Absolutely beautiful tone! Thank you,
    Keith
    Ps/// Countryman DI is the best! I agree… :thumbup:

THANKS!

I am just learning to profile, but I really love the sound of that one too... I did the "refine" step for a few minutes to get things to really sound right.

I need to learn how to set up cabinets on the rig now, so I can use the profiles for recording. That's next on my list. :D