vocal mike recommendation for noob singer with weak voice

• Just some observations and ideas:

It won't matter what you sing though if you lack confidence and technique. You'll sound like shit through a U87 just as well as an SM57 if you don't sing a part well.

Try out different styles of singing, pretending you are a different singer so you don't feel a lack of confidence.
    Put some of that money towards some singing lessons from a coach.
    Read a bit on how to fix certain problems (ie not singing the first letter of a word if it's a consonant when punching in on background vocals so you don't come in the wrong time as the lead. Or just edit that out to leave the lead clear. Work on problem Eeees so they don't sound harsh. Etc. I recommend doing a take, listening to it, and evaluating the areas you cringe at, and mentally think how you could have sung it differently to make it not cringe-worthy. Like a change in word? Pitch?)

The SM7B is for a powerful singer. Not soft vocals. You want a condenser mic. That Warm Audio sounds like a fantastic deal. But you gotta know if that mic is good for your voice. Sometimes it's a mic-per-type-of-song deal. I sang one song with an SM57 that sounded better than I expected. All other mics didn't do. Never found another song the SM57 worked with since. And your recording chain has a lot to do with it.

I second the Neve 1073 plugin idea. I use Universal Audio and it's a great additional to warming up a vocal take and smoothing out harshness. Learn to do some slight EQ drops on your own vocals to suit.

It's a LOT to making a vocal you like. But It starts with coaching. Runs through many gear trials and signal pathway trials with different gear/plugins. and then ends with smart editing. IF you are doing it all yourself.

You COULD invest in some studio time and tell them your interest in a cheaper mic, and have them use various ones on you and tell you what they used, what EQ curve they used on you, etc. Cost you a few, but would be well worth it.

• There is some thing wrong with R's Voice? LOL thats BS :D
    I have not even had a beer yet and i cna already groove to that..

What about what Michael (DK) uses?? , that has plenty of mic's
    http://slatedigital.com/virtual-microphone-system/
    VMS??? surly you could experiment like Michael did and have the most options?

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• My voice was not so weak on this one, but I had to almost scream and my throat was hurting a bit after while , it's pretty challenging for me but opens lots of perspectives. I plan to take some vocal lessons or get part in a choir sooner or later.

Yeah that's a problem with those mics sometimes. Remember the Cloudlifter you'll only need for the SM7B.

Using a condenser mic with your phantom power will make a huge difference.

I think it's great that you're thinking of joining a choir (I wish I had of listened to my mom and joined lol), but, your voice is really quite good. :D

• True, Ash! The only impediment is that it is super expensive!

• Just get condoms and sell your backside like i had too to buy 2 kempers and 2 mission cabs :thumbup::rolleyes:
    I think his voice is great, i know the VMS covers a lot of ground and if you cant find a good pre amp vibe from the VMS then there is some thing wrong :) . Thanks to Michael DK for showing me the VMS. Like YOU , i have found you guys are great and know gear :thumbup:

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I have the VMS.

I'm not seeing as huge a variety as I thought I would between the microphones, but it works very well with even 3rd party preamps and does sound as good or better than my previous best recordings. So there is THAT. Must be "good", haha. It DOES sound exactly like my SM7, which is the only mic I had to compare it to. That was impressive.

Btw, I wasn't meaning anything about the OP's quality of voice, no, no, just making general comments about ALL new singers (who definitely get better results with coaching) A lot of folks read this who didn't ask the question but want the answer. I was writing in general to that audience. A lot of folks looking for vocal mics are looking for the mic to assuage what can be controlled with your own vocal production, pronunciations, technique, set-ups or mixing. The Microphone is kind of the weak link since there are SO many good microphones out there and for cheap compared to 20+ years ago. This is a common thing amateurs like me run into on our journey. So maybe the advice can save someone a few years or dollars.

This subject has me thinking of a Melloncamp album he put out a few years ago. The whole band played around a 1950's era microphone into a 1950s era 2-jtrack tape machine. Sounded fantastic because: great musicians and superb and experienced singer despite the hiss and muddiness. Technology didn't matter near as much as the performances.

So don't go broke on a mic. Go broke on learning, haha But the VMS is a good bang for the buck and gives you variety all around. And Slate is coming out soon with an ML-2 1/2 condenser for instruments for $150 a pop. (hate to be a drummer!)

• Once again, I thank you all for this quality info !

The plugins looks pretty cool but I won't use any Ilok protected software, plus they are way too expensive for my usage, I'm an amateur recording with home studio.

I understand, that I have to go on with experimenting and practice singing until I reach satisfying results.

I let you hear results as soon as I have something good enough :)