External pedals in slots with Kemper

• Hello all

Since buying the Kemper I have sold all of my external pedals. I am extremely happy with the amp profiles and to be honest everything else. There are a few pedals I am considering buying though, namely a boost pedal and the FreqOut but I have a question.

One of the reasons I purchased the Kemper rack mount version was to have a portable solution with the minimum amount of pedals on the floor and a single cable to the Kemper. Now if I buy external pedals I would like to put them within the rack case, leave them switched on and toggle them via the pedal board. So for example assign switch 1 on the pedal board to turn on and off the slot with the boost and assign switch 2 to turn on and off the slot with the FreqOut. Is this possible?

If it is how many slots can be assigned to the external pedals and do you notice any quality issues running them this way rather than direct to the front of the Kemper?

Thank you

Mike :thumbup:

• Ok

I think I found the answer and was slightly disappointed.

There is an effects loop which unfortunately is shared with the same sockets used for reamping so I would have to put it in front of the Kemper in the studio and then assign the loop to a slot when playing live. Shame there is no dedicated effects loop, in fact more than 1 effects loop would have been great.

As there is only 1 effects loop it looks like the FreqOut will be the only pedal I purchase.

I can't help but laugh at the irony, I couldn't control the feedback on the JVM410h now I want to create artificial feedback lol.

Us guitarists, never happy

Mike

• You could always purchase a new soundcard with spdf so you have the loop free for pedals. :)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That "might" be a good suggestion for a "possible" new Kemper model.

Don't get me wrong...I DON'T WANT A NEW VERSION OF THE KEMPER that isn't fully compatible with all original Kemper models...and works with all original profiles. BUT, added "loop" and "switcher" sections for multiple effects and points in the signal chain could offer the solution(s) many like yourself are looking for. After all, professional musicians who take this thing on the road must need an outboard switcher to do what you describe. Right now that's the only practical way.

One issue that could be a problem mixing external stomps and/or effects with internal stomps/effects would be the order of the stomp/effect. That matters! So maybe it's better to have Kemper capture and offer effects like that "Freakout" effect. They do a pretty good job of that, and the research and development can't be cheap. We get a lot for our money!

Phil 8)

• Philbert.

The new Soundcard is a good suggestion but I use a ur824 which is a responsibly expensive rack mount that integrates really well with Cubase. The Ur824 doesn't have the correct spdif connections and I don't really want to buy convertors as I put a lot of effort in streamlining my gear, but I suppose it's always an option.

I am with you in that I don't want to see a Kemper 2, it's a selfish thing as I have only owned mine for 3 months and I would hate to have to make a loss selling Kemper 1 to buy Kemper 2.

By the way I do agree, we get a lot more than an amp Profiler for our cash.

Cheers for the reply

Mike