What is ADT? Usable with the Kemper? An explainer

• Based on the discussions at some forums, I had a feeling people could use a short demonstration of what Automatic Double Tracking (ADT) is and how it could be useful.

We've all heard the complaints: the ADT sounds like phasing with the Kemper, it can only be used into the front of two Kempers, etc.

Here is a short clip I did demonstrating what an ADT effect is like.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this demo, I play a rhythm part through the Kemper without an ADT, then with the ADT activated in a mono loop and then with ADT on in a stereo loop.

After that, I play a melody line with the ADT off, on in a mono loop and then a stereo loop. Listen with headphones

Hopefully this should give you an idea of how this type of pedal could be useful. No settings were changed on the pedal for any of the parts, just switch the loop on to mono and then on to stereo.

Now, it struck me, based on my ownership of a couple of these pedals, that the actual issue seemed to be that everyone was monitoring through headphones or listening with everything panned centre.

Trust me, that is the last way you want to be monitoring with this effect, even with headphones. Think of two modulated signals right in the centre of your stereo field moving from side to side and crossing each other every now and then...

The first thing you have to do is make sure you pan the inputs you are using on whatever device hard left and hard right - whether that's an interface or a PA system, it doesn't matter.

Now if you have two speakers connected directly to the Kemper, you really don't need to worry about panning left and right. Don't believe me? Check out this video where I had my Deco in a stereo loop and my Kemper hooked up directly to my studio monitors.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

With headphones, you will definitely hear the difference. And keep in mind this is with a single KPA, with a Deco in the stereo loop.

It's worth mentioning that some of the guys who know what it is have asked for Kemper Amps to give us an FX that does exactly that, i.e. ADT.

The ADT pedal I am using for this demo is a Strymon Deco. I'd love to be able to demonstrate this effect with a TC Electronic Mimiq, but I sold mine. Should be exactly the same result.

Let me know if you're having any trouble with your pedal and I'll be happy to help you get it set up.

• AJ's next video Kemper into the Mimiq connected to the Strymon Deco going into the Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker ...

Unfortunately he blew up :thumbup: Jokes AJ great Video, i cant decide what to try next (As i have the mimiq) Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker or the Strymon Deco...remember i have 2 kempers...bah i may just try both brother, any how thanks for the video :) I am going to try that in front and in the loop.

Edit -Mimiq into the FRONT of the kemper....Strymon Deco into the stereo loop
    Did i win the tone god award yet? :D
    BTW Mechänevil is fing cool (love the megadeth vocal also)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 3 times, last by ashtweth ().

• I... you're too kind, Ash! Thank you! :Thumbsup: