Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 ???

• Anybody using 2nd generation 18i20??

I've been using Tascam US1641 for years and I think it's about goddamn time to upgrade.
    It's definitely a useful unit, but I cannot get the latency lower than about 13ms total, which is way too high for rehearsal or live use.

Has anybody tried Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 in a live or rehearsal?

We need 2 guitars and 1 bass monitored at the same time, they will have some automations on effects and delays etc etc.

The Tascam isn't going to cut it for us, so I want to know what the current lineup of hardware is capable of :)

• Hi Cederick

I have a 2gen 18i20 it works pretty well.
    Running about 5ms when recording one guitar, not sure if or how much you will need to turn the buffers up when adding more tracks.

I recorded a drum session with 10 inputs via adat from my Steinberg mr 816 to the Focusrite and it worked very well.
    One thing, i feel like it doesn`t sound as good and has lower output volume compared to the Steinberg, but for the price it is good enough.

You could buy a higher end small interface with adat and a Behringer ada8200 or something similar or use your Tascam with spdif (less channels, can`t remember how many)

Edited once, last by Xander ().

• Just some messy thoughts:

Isn't' that a wee bit overkill for 3 inputs? It's a nice unit, I have no doubt.
    But you're spending a lot of money on extra pre's you're not using that could be put into other features.

I'd want something more like a 4 input with the money going towards that units better pres than a Scarlett.

I've been impressed with Audient, but they haven't come out with their ID44 yet, and when I had the ID22, I couldn't get the SPDIF to synch up with the Kemper's clock
    and I needed a SPDIF->RCA optical converter. (Same conversion works fine with my Apollo Twin)

So in that case, the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre sounds like a good fit because YOU can go in SPDIF and thats as clean as you can get with the KPA.
    Good sounding unit. Pre's not as good as the Audent, latency good but a little worse. Uses Thunderbolt or USB depending on unit you choose.
    It's SPDIF has no problem with the KPA.

Apollo stuff is nice, but if you don't do their UAD plugins, an overly expensive system.

Now if you want to up the game a little, that Antelope Audio Discrete looks neat...

However, IF you ARE pining for that Scarlett 18 rack mount thing, go for instead the Clarett. Way better pre's and the mix software is tons easier to figure out. Almost intuitive.

• Yes, I have it connected to my DAW.

No, I don't think it's overkill, since I have the ability to connect many different units to it and not have to change a single cable. I have my Kemper going through it, Keyboards, GR-55, Microphones and several other items that are available at the same time. This allows me to record separate tracks for each instrument, even if they are all recording at the same time. My Kemper signal is split into a wet in stereo, and a mono dry track for reamping. It works great, without having to change cabling, etc.

Since it makes each item pretty much static, it also allows me to name each input for what is connected to it in my DAW.

For example: instead of seeing a list of inputs like Mic Input 1 L, Mic Input 1 R, Mic Input 1 Stereo, Mic Input 2 L .. etc, I have Kemper wet, Kemper dry, GR-55, Microphone, Keyboards. Makes it a little easier.