(Solved) reamping no logic to kemper input for reamp

• Hello guys.
    Im trying to reamp with kemper but im not getting the results i want, I ve found a video tutorial (link below) on youtube and Im following it step by step but when it comes to remap im getting no sound.
    ok so

1)I have a spdif cable out of the kemper into my focusrite 6i6
    another spdif cable out of the focusrite into my kemper

2)on the kemper: output is set to git/stack and input is set to front input

3)as in logic pro x the input 5 correspond to my dry track and input 6 to the wet track
    I create a track on input 5(spdif dry) and output stereo , if i play back i can hear the dry signal = grand
    I create another track this time input 6 (spdif wet) , output stereo , if i play back i can hear the wet signal = grand
    i press record , i record wet and dry tracks

now

back to the kemper i change input into spdif input reamp

back to logic i change the first recorded track (the dry track) to output 5-6 (which are my spdif out) and create a new track input 6 (spdif wet) now on the video when the guy press play he get the reamp sound , my new track instead has no inputs whatsoever and so no sound....I think im following it step by step cant understand what am i doing wrong ?(
    can you help me please ?

this is the video im talking about

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi @Jarrydee total noob here so any help is good! One spdif is going out of my focusrite into my kemper because my understanding is that once you record a dry track in your daw then to reamp the signal has to go back to the kemper ! My problem is that the signal DOESNT go back to the kemper , I just have no input from the focusrite (it’s driving me crazy )

• Hi @Jarrydee total noob here so any help is good! One spdif is going out of my focusrite into my kemper because my understanding is that once you record a dry track in your daw then to reamp the signal has to go back to the kemper ! My problem is that the signal DOESNT go back to the kemper , I just have no input from the focusrite (it’s driving me crazy )

Hi! I have the same 6i6 and I use spdif in and out with Logic on my Mac. So pretty much the same set up as you. I think you are missing a couple of key set up steps:

1) Please check in Logic > Preferences > Audio that you have Output Device in the drop down set to "Scarlett 6i6 USB"

2) When you are ready to re-amp, on the Kemper go into the Input menu and Input Source (knob 3) must be set to "SPDIF Input Reamp"

- At this point if you play your plugged in guitar you will not hear it since your input source is no longer Front input. This is exactly what we want for reamping.

3) Select your DI track in logic and set the Output of that track to "Out 5-6", which is the SPDIF output on the focusrite. Sounds from your description above that you did do this. So must be either or both of steps #1 and #2 above that you missed.

Please try it and report back if you still have problems.

Hope that helps!

• I am not using SPDIF yet, but my first question is WHY do you have SPDIF going back INTO your kemper? Just asking.If you want the whole rig sound, it is my understanding to set the output to either main stereo, or main mono. then again I am so new to this, I may be totally full of shit, if so.. I apologize.!

Because we want to reamp and we are doing so over SPDIF as well, that's why we need out from interface and in to Kemper over SPDIF as well. We don't HAVE to use SPDIF for that, we could use alt input on the KPA instead (and some other output from our interface, not SPDIF) if let's say our interface doesn't have spdif in and out (some only have spdif in).

But since the OP's 6i6 has both spdif in and out, it's really nice and neat to use both together for recording and re-amping, 2 cheap cables, all digital signal. that's the way I do it as well.

• @nottoohigh thanks for the answer , I’m sure point 2 is what I do in my kemper so I need to check if point 1 is correct , after work in the afternoon I’ll check that out

@audiomitch when I record the dry track initially doesn’t have the input in kemper to be “front input” and only later when reamping be changed into “spdif input reamp?”
    In logic the input is set to 5 which is the spdif dry signal , I can record no problem through spdif, my problem is the signal doesn’t go back to the kemper for some reason

• Because we want to reamp and we are doing so over SPDIF as well, that's why we need out from interface and in to Kemper over SPDIF as well. We don't HAVE to use SPDIF for that, we could use alt input on the KPA instead (and some other output from our interface, not SPDIF) if let's say our interface doesn't have spdif in and out (some only have spdif in).

But since the OP's 6i6 has both spdif in and out, it's really nice and neat to use both together for recording and re-amping, 2 cheap cables, all digital signal. that's the way I do it as well.

OK thank you!! I am new also, and I did not understand the reason for sending back out of interface to KPA by SPDIF, I did not know you could reamp that way, so THANK you for telling me. I will have to use the crap Maudio interface I have to do that, my apollo only has spdif INPUT. thanks again I always learn when I open this board up!

• @nottoohigh I checked and in logic output and input are set to 6i6 usb the kemper input set to spdif reamp ..but still nothing happen .do you have a 1st or 2nd generation focusrite ? Maybe the prob is in focusritr control :huh:

Mine is 2nd gen. Here's my focusrite control set up:

Note that there is an output setting for S/PDIF to go over 5-6 channel for output.

Also when you say you aren't getting any sound going back into the kemper for reamping, are you sure that you are not seeing the "input" LED on the kemper lighting up as your DI track is playing back? Because maybe it's just a monitoring issue and you aren't hearing the sound but the input is actually going back correctly. Just another thing to check.

Also don't rule out a faulty cable. try swapping your rca cables between in and out to rule that possibility out as well.

• @audiomitch when I record the dry track initially doesn’t have the input in kemper to be “front input” and only later when reamping be changed into “spdif input reamp?”
    In logic the input is set to 5 which is the spdif dry signal , I can record no problem through spdif, my problem is the signal doesn’t go back to the kemper for some reason

Yes you are right about the settings for input - front input when recording and spdif input reamp for reamping.

• @audiomitch when I record the dry track initially doesn’t have the input in kemper to be “front input” and only later when reamping be changed into “spdif input reamp?”

I usually record the dry track straight through my interface and reamp later with the KPA. That gives me more control, although sometimes that's not a good thing ;)

A couple of different ways of doing it - I generally play through a plugin to get the parts down in the heat of the moment. That leaves me with an unaffected track that I just remove the plugin later.

Another way is to put the KPA in a "virtual effects loop" with your DAW. It would go something like this: guitar straight into audio interface. The track output would be set to S/PDIF going to the KPA. A second track with the input set to S/PDIF from the KPA. Monitor the KPA track (or even record it) but you will still have the raw track to reamp anytime you want.

Hope it helps!