Powered Head Into a powered PA makes for a band tone! (Or does it?)

• I just wanted to share with y'all what I just discovered, which may or may not be common knowledge. When using a powered KPA into a powered PA/speaker it is 100% necessary to physically turn of the power amp in the amp. The tone then becomes way less fizzy and more clear, especially on dirtier tones, and a HELL of a lot louder. Thanks to this discovery of mine I know am 100% content with my purchase of this amp. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if this is similar to the turning the cab emulation off when playing through a cab? In that if a powered amp is going through a powered speaker there is just to much going on? If anyone has an explanation to this that would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

• Welcome.
    What you wrote can't be true.
    How did you connect the Profiler to the powered PA in the first place?
    NEVER connect the Profiler's speaker output to anything else than a PASSIVE CAB.
    A powered PA/mixer etc. should always be connected using the main or monitor outputs, in which case it doesn't matter if the Profiler's poweramp is switched on or not.
    In case your experience is different please open a support ticket. ;)

• As a ground rule: If the power amp is switched on or off has absolutely no impact on any other line level output signal.

Exception: Monitor Out, if Power Amp Boost is <> 0. Power Amp Boost influences the Monitor Output signal, but only while the power amp is switched on. Remember: The Monitor Output signal is shared and also used to feed the internal power amp. Those two are linked together. However there is no need to feed the PA from the Monitor Output. The Main Output XLR is the better choice anyhow.

• Welcome.What you wrote can't be true.
    How did you connect the Profiler to the powered PA in the first place?
    NEVER connect the Profiler's speaker output to anything else than a PASSIVE CAB.
    A powered PA/mixer etc. should always be connected using the main or monitor outputs, in which case it doesn't matter if the Profiler's poweramp is switched on or not.
    In case your experience is different please open a support ticket. ;)

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my KPA, but my PA was plugged into monitor out (not speaker out), and by me physically turning off the power amp it made a huge difference? Should I concerned? However I did have the power amp boost turned up which as Burkhard explained, was probably what made the difference in tone. Not the fact that the power amp was on/off.

Thank you all for the replies and for helping me understand this dilemma!

Edited once, last by tlambs ().

• Sounds odd to me - turning off the power amp should not affect the monitor out.....unless there is something I'm not aware of?

BTW I never turn off the power amp, even when not connected - not necessary...

• I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my KPA, but my PA was plugged into monitor out (not speaker out), and by me physically turning off the power amp it made a huge difference? Should I concerned? However I did have the power amp boost turned up which as Burkhard explained, was probably what made the difference in tone. Not the fact that the power amp was on/off.
    Thank you all for the replies and for helping me understand this dilemma!

@Burkhard 's advice probably did the trick. I didn’t think of poweramp boost because I never use it. ;)