Use real amp (VOX AC30) with Kemper

• Hi,

I have an usual question.
    I have a powered Kemper and I have my own cabinet that I usually plug into the powered output of the Kemper (with Cab Sim off), since it’s the powered unit going into a real guitar cabinet.

In most venues I plug to the provided PA system via Kemper’s Main output(s) and that goes to the front of the house. All is good.

But I have a small gig where there will be a VOX AC30 amp (Combo afaik) and no PA. Since I have no AC30 to experiment, what would be the best way to use my Kemper (and profiles/performances) by utilizing the AC 30’s cabinet?

The way I see it, the VOX Amp has no way to “unplug” the speaker from the back and plug it to the Kemper power output directly (like some Combo amps have), so I was thinking maybe plug the monitor out of my Kemper into the Effects Return of the VOX? (With CAB SIM OFF, of course, as usual).

Would that work? It’s a small venue so I don’t need anything too fancy.

Plan B will be to just use the VOX “as is” and leave the kemper at home. One has to be flexible :)

No. I can’t change the conditions, I’m a guest (meaning I can’t bring MY cab or anything)

Thanks! :)

• These are the times where I still use my pedalboard and leave the Kemper home. Especially if it's a combo (those Voxs are good). If the venue is small, the results for me are usually much better than with the Kemper.

I should add that I tried to go in the effect loop return of a Twin and a JC-120 before and it never worked: maybe I did something wrong or was in a hurry but I always ended up plugging in the input and the results were pretty bad. If the venue is small and the amp provided is a combo, I'd rather go old school.

• But, if there is a fast change from band to band, it would be simpler to use the Vox.

^ yes, I need to figure this out. In Any case, a Kemper with a Bag is still small enough footprint to bring it and see what the deal is.

Thanks for the response(s).

I should add that I tried to go in the effect loop return of a Twin and a JC-120 before and it never worked: maybe I did something wrong or was in a hurry but I always ended up plugging in the input and the results were pretty bad. If the venue is small and the amp provided is a combo, I'd rather go old school.

Some amplifier's effect returns only work, while something is plugged into its effect send. So just plugging a loose TS jack into the effect send could make a difference.

• Who would have guessed, …there was a Mixer next to where I was supposed to play with two free XLR inputs, going to the PA directly (together with all Vocals/Drums/etc.) So the VOXAC30 owner frowned at me and said “wait, you don’t…want to use the amp? ˙mmmmm ok…” so he was very skeptical, but Kemper being Kemper… all turned out to be ok. Thanks for the responses!

I did look into the AC30 (which seemed to have a few winters under its belt), and it did have a SEND/RETURN but no line input or way to “reuse” the speakers, so my Plan B was going to try sending the Monitor Output (Cab Sim Off) to it and see what happens, and my plan C was going to put a backup pedal for some gain and go 100% amp.

Time between bands was 5-10 min which was enough for me to unplug 2 cables from the Mixer, Kemper’s power cord and pedalboard neutrik xlr, unplug guitar and put in case, put kemper in case, pedalboard on top, cables in pockets and be out of the stage in under 4 minutes.

Thanks for all the responses.