Two Line6 M5's?

• Greetings lady and gentlemen,

I've maxed out on the 24 presets available on my Line6 M5 and am considering buying another. The unit is just so simple and does exactly what I need it to do; such a great pedal! Currently I'm changing presets via MIDI from the KPA to the M5. If I get another M5, how does one recommend I run that so that I can utilize the additional 24 presets on the 2nd M5?

In other words, more is more.

In more other words, will the KPA recognize that it's a new unit and I tell the KPA that there are two units?

In even more other words, do I run MIDI out of KPA to the THRU on the 1st M5 to the IN on the 2nd?

So many questions, so little literacy.

Thanks for any assist!

• Sounds like it would be lot easier to upgrade to an M9 or M13. I saw a used M9 on my local Craigslist for $150 the other day.

"The M13 has the ability to store 48 scenes, and there 12 effects within each scene. So in one sense, you can have 576 (48x12) individual effect presets. In addition to that, you can have those effects combined in however many ways within a scene. If you're just simply going to use the M13 latch mode, you'll have 12 scenes available to you at the press of a button, plus the other 36 scenes available if you switch folders.
    The M9 has the ability to store 24 scenes, and there are 6 effects within each scene."

https://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/20534/

• Would you connect them in series in the FX loop?

In Performance Mode, you could set up each M5 on a separate MIDI channel.

You would likely want to set each of them up with 23 presets, and one "bypass" preset (all M5 effects bypassed, with unity gain).

Using the two assignable MIDI devices/Channels, each Performance Slot could send a MIDI PC command to each M5. When you want to use only one, use the "bypass" preset for the other one. Or, you can use both at the same time.