Laptop recommendations

• Hi All

The old laptop has given up the ghost and I am looking to replace but also have my Daw software running on it rather than using the desktop setup. I’m using a focusrite scarlett 18i8 gen1 audio interface (usb) and have Cubase and FL studio DAW software and I’m wondering what’s a good laptop to use. The budget is £800 and I’m in the Uk..

Any advice is welcome either actual make/models or just a good spec (i5 or i7 processor ssd and/or hhd and 8 or 16gb of memory etc.). I’m not really a gamer so graphics is not a massive issue.

Thanks in advance.

• Nothing is as old as your laptop bought five minutes ago ;) .

Crazy, but here in Germany we have saturn or media markt and every week they have new absolutly special offers.....

If you are not so in graphics look for the quickest processor and the best starge you can get for the budget and I recommend a 17" laptop

• hi, I'm a happy user of 2 Thinkpads T520 and W520, i7 quadcore, 16GB ram, purchased them as used, great machines with pretty much headroom, still with firewire for my Focusrite Saffire Pro10 (old but still working, I don't miss anything)... can't tell anything about windows, I'm using archlinux,
    good luck :)

• Look for a refurbished Lenovo X- or T-Series, about 3 to 5 years old, with i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM and 256 or 512 GB SSD. These models have an outstanding hardware quality, are very reliable and have enough power for almost every DAW software.

I have an 1st generation i7 system (about 10 years old) and never reached more than 40% CPU load, even when using a lot of plugins and about 30 tracks. IMHO there is no need for more CPU power for a DAW.

• I would go for a bigger ssd. If you need more storage buy external ssds. Hardrives are not good for big projects. They just load too slow.
    I also would recommend 16gb of ram so for that price point I wouldn't get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.
    The 8th gen Intel CPUs are way better than their 7th Gen counterparts. Some lines got more cores etc.
    The IPC didn't change that much though.
    Id also recommend a laptop that still has a full sized keyboard. For my Cubase work flow I use the num pad quite regulary.
    Regarding the specific model. If you have a shop near you I would recommend you try them out as a laptop is also about feel and built quality not only the raw horsepower.
    I would also recommend to read up on some stress test of the specific model. Some manufactures build there laptops so that it thermal throttles within a few minutes of load.
    And at least 1080p.