IEM stage mixer for the band... any alternatives?

• We use a laptop and interface with Pro Tools because it was already there. It is easy to bring each instrument in on an aux track and run 5 monitor mixes. Hardware will always have its limitations and get outdated.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Go for the X32... In the long run you will always run short of outputs.

I spotted another unit called X Air which looks REALLY neat!
    Cheaper and smaller than the X32 but pretty much the same thing

[Blocked Image: https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q-82__ha-92c13a3196f208d5__hmac-e6cb6586263af05bc01df58cf7301b78a11048bf/images/items/750/XR18-large.jpg]

We use a laptop and interface with Pro Tools because it was already there. It is easy to bring each instrument in on an aux track and run 5 monitor mixes. Hardware will always have its limitations and get outdated.

Yup that was an idea too but I dont have a computer or interface with low enough latency.

• I spotted another unit called X Air which looks REALLY neat!
    Cheaper and smaller than the X32 but pretty much the same thing

We use the XR18 and it works like a charm. If outputs are a limiting factor, you can always expand on it with the P16 system.

• You can get a used X32 Producer for like 1000€. The good thing is that you can mount it in an angular rack like this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon…CJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

This way you still have a regular interface with faders and don´t have to rely on smartphones and tablets to control it. So it can be used as a FOH mixer as well while you can still expand the inputs and outputs via AES50 (which is missing in the smaller units like the XR18) and use something like SD-16 these as digital multicores. We use all 25 mix buses wither for the FOH stereo mix, stereo inear mixes for each band member as well as subgroup mixes which can be fed to an external FOH mixer.

• Thanks, but not sure.

I already have the X32 Compact.

The whole idea is to make a "universal" IEM setup that doesn't have to rely on AES50...

Then you need a setup with signal splitters. For maximum flexibility with your X32C you would need a pair of S16s, each mounted in a small FX-rack with two 8-line splitters. Then use AES50 to interconnect these with the X32, while front-end engineers use whatever they wish for their side of things. The splitters and S16 stage-units can be pre-wired to save time. If you use less channels you can build smaller stage-boxes with for example S8s in them. With such a setup it is also wise to carry a few short 8-line snakes with XLR male/female to avoid shortage of mic-cables. The splitter setup require 2 XLR-cables for each line to connec to the splitter and further to the venue's stageboxes.

• As heldal said: if you want universal, you need a full fledged splitter setup. And thats a lot of work to do properly! It would be much easier just to hire a FOH-tech and do front of house too from your mixer... Has a couple of advantages:

* No hassling around with cables and compatibility issues with the setup which was hired by the promotor
    * The promotor doesn't have to hire a full fledged PA for your band (around 500-1000 euros depending on quality), so even if you charge like 100-200 euro for your equipment it'll be way cheaper for the promotor to hire you (if it gets too expensive they'll just get a DJ)
    * If your soundtech is willing to mix your show on an iPad, the promotor will be able to get 10 extra paying customers in the venue instead of a bulky PA (beware, soundtechs and iPads are like drummers en digidrums, or guitarists and modellers....)
    * You travel with the same IEM setting every time

Oh, and speaker set can still be provided by the promotor: just 2 XLRs from your mixer to the ampracks...

And in case you've wondered what a rental company would say about this on small festivals? Well, if you bring just your own IEM mix, you would still have to unplug their whole stageblock to get your IEM mixer in between. If you would just bring the IEM wireless rack, you would still have to plug that into their monitor mixer (if they have it). Well, and now they'll have to put their mic stands aside for yours, but can leave everything connected... Just connect your stereo feed... They'll be crossed anyway :D

Mixed a few bands who went this route, and since I've been in a band myself I can't picture myself doing this any different...