Cab question

• Hi everyone,
    I'm a total noob with the Kemper. I don't own one yet, but I'm thinking of saving to buy one. As of now i have an Axe Fx II XL.

I have a question about cabinets. I read that you can change the cab of a profile to a different cab.

Does the Kemper utilize IR files at all? I have quite a few i use with my Axe Fx. I was just wondering if these could be used with the Kemper in any way or not? Is there a certain format that the Kemper uses for commercial IR files?

Many thanks in advance!

• There's a utility you can use to convert conventional IR's to a Kemper-compatible format.

Personally, I'd first see if you can find cabs used in other Rigs (presets) before going the IR route. Other folks like IR's.

For me the thing is that the Kemper cabs behave dynamically, whereas with IR's you're stuck with whatever the impulse captured. IOW, an IR is a snapshot of how a cab behaves and sounds only under one strict condition, whereas the Kemper's one is constructed from data collected at different wavelengths and energies.

Real-world speakers exhibit impedance-induced behaviours due to magnetic-coil mass (inertia), speaker-cone mass, materials, shape, size and air resistance (to movement), and so on. These impedances dynamically affect the amp's electrical output, meaning that the overall "performance" is an interaction between the two, a tag-team effort, if you will.

IMHO, IR's cannot give you this.

EDIT:
    I see DMB has responded whilst I was typing. Sorry if anything I said is redundant.