Main out and Headphone out difference

• Hi all,

I've had my kemper for a bit now and I've noticed a difference in audio quality and volume when comparing my guitar tone while listening through the headphone out, and then then listening to the signal coming from the main out into my Mbox2 mini. With the headphone out, the sound is full and clear with almost zero noise. When I listen to the Mbox mini, the sound is thin and the signal is lower, with more noise. How can I get what's coming out of the headphone into my DAW? Thanks for the help.

• Hi,
    If you do a bit of searching on the forum, you will find some older threads talking about this topic.
    Basically, the headphone preamp of the Kemper is absolutely spot on. I don't think any consumer type of audio interface can match it.
    I have an RME Babyface Pro and I still hear a loss of audio quality using its headphone output.

Not sure how you connect your Kemper to your interface, but keep in mind that the Kemper headphone output is in stereo, so unless you connect both Left and Right main outs (or SPDIF) to your interface, you are listening to a mono signal, which makes a big difference right there. That said, you will still notice a difference with a stereo feed.

Edited once, last by Slyman ().

• Good answer IMHO, Slyman.

Headphone Space™ could be another reason if the OP has it turned on.

The MBox's convertors and headphone amp, assuming he's using it, will surely degrade the sound. He mentioned the classic symptoms of low-quality A/D and D/A conversion, especially the "thinner sound" aspect. It should also sound "smaller" if indeed it's the convertors and headphone amp.

If he's using studio monitors plugged into the interface, then the issue would partly be 'cause he's comparing cans with monitors, of course.

EDIT:
    I had the posting window open for a long time and missed your post, @dickjonesify. Good point too about his main-out level.

• Another good point @Monkey_Man about Space. I was about to mention that.

@rpsolomons the headphone out has “Space” on it by default, which is pretty realistic Room verb type thing. If you hit Output, got to the last page, you can unclick the soft button that says “Space > Headphone only” to unselect it and you’ll get that effect in your Main outs as well.