The 'Foundational Sonics of the KPA' thread (officially sanctioned by CK)

• OK guys - I thought I was doing what Mr. Kemper suggested by starting this new thread, but regardless, this is obviously not going to be productive. I would ask the administrator to delete both this, the previous thread, and any others anyone here may find too negative, and I will keep any such thoughts to myself in the future. Why did I post them at all? Just like some of you have posted new feature requests in hopes that they will improve the future KPA, the distortion happened to be my main concern so I have posted about it in hopes of making it 'ideal'. In a way, the motivation was selfish, in that I want it to be 'perfection' for my own playing/sonic tastes, as I still haven't quite been able to 'nail it all down' personally. This is a new product, and many of us want to 'get our 2¢ in' while it is being refined' - I think that is human nature. It's just that some of us are more opinionated and vocal than others 8o

All modelers known to man 8o

• Why does everybody think CK is sitting at home and is drinking beer all the time? We had an update every two weeks. That's so great, unbelievable! If he knew a simple and fast trick to improve the whole sound he would implement that. Anybody thinking that he has a reserve that he just holds back and hides from us? Absurd! Thank you CK for your hard and steady work! :thumbup:

• I really don't see what the problem is here. If Radley thinks that this is a real problem then let him post. I don't get the idea that on any forum that a post that the majority of people don't like, that everyone has to wade in and trash the thread. It sounds to me that Radley is trying to improve the product, why not try and keep the forum positive i.e. if you don't have anything to add to a thread then don't post in it? Just my £0.02.

Spence

• I don't want to sound negative, i'm happy with the KPA, if I was not I'd have returned it, it comes very close to sounding like the profiled amps, probably the closest to an amp sound in any digital device at this time, but yes profiled distortion sounds still have room for improvement, I can't describe was it is in words, but when playing the amp, and the profiles, it's not exactly the same, so it would be a mistake for KPA to assume no more improvement is needed on that area, but of course it already captures the sound very well, so most people will never complaint about it, maybe it has to do with the refine process, but haven't been able yet to get the exact same sound profiles, as what i hear on the studio monitors direct from amp, when I compare I don't hear the Real amp sound at all, it's in a sound proof room far away, so all I get is the mic sound.

• Yes, maybe he's trying to help. Or just wanting some improvement for his own wishes. But:. He has his unit for three weeks now. And CK developed for some month or years...I wonder if we newbies can tell the developers something about an engigne that we have no clue of? If we can not help, what then is it for? ?(

• I really don't see what the problem is here. If Radley thinks that this is a real problem then let him post. I don't get the idea that on any forum that a post that the majority of people don't like, that everyone has to wade in and trash the thread. It sounds to me that Radley is trying to improve the product, why not try and keep the forum positive i.e. if you don't have anything to add to a thread then don't post in it? Just my £0.02.

Spence

+1,000,0000 Absolutely.

• I think it is fine to post a critique, discussion is good but it seems to be done over multiple threads. I just seems like a bit redundant.
    The forum is not that big that we need the same topic over and over again.
    I can see where it could come off as someone trolling when that may not be the OP's intent.

• Some questions here:

Have you done your own profiles yet?
    Have you refined them well?
    Will you share them with us?

Who told you that the KPA is doing simple EQ matching only?

Have you used the deep amp parameters yet, such as Definition, Sag, Shape, Bias etc.?

CK

• Guys ....the issues to me are not his comments about Kemper - but the fact this thread was started by a Fractal artist!

Seems very "troll-ish" that a person listed on Fractal's artist page is the same guy starting a thread about his personal shortcomings with the Kemper.

Just because he purchased a unit, doesn't change the fact he is on Fractal company website as an artist.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/artists.php

Hadley Hockensmith
    L.A. Studio Guitarist, Neil Diamond Band
    "I love my Axe-FX… So much fidelity, amp goodness & processing power under one roof. The ‘sonic bar’ has been totally recalibrated by Fractal Audio!"

Very uncool in my opinion - and I hope this thread dies soon.

Stay frosty,
    JEL

I seriously doubt that a Kemper artist (when that time comes) will be allowed to post a similar thread on the Fractal website about their issues with the Axe Fx. Never going to happen, nor should it here.

• Hey JEL - you're not Gellin' with me bro... 8) Speaking of excess, I believe you have made the above point very clear in a number of threads now. I don't understand why you assume I have ulterior motives for purchasing & investing so much time with the KPA. I also spoke very honestly on the Fractal board when I first received my Ultra, and was also accused of 'stirring the pot' and being a troll! 8o My normal mode is to clearly speak my mind about things, but I do not post to simply 'stir the pot' here or anywhere else, and that's why I again request that any posts of mine deemed offensive 'be *DELETED*, and I will deal with any future issues 'amongst myself' 8o

• Hadley - if you don't understand or see the conflict of a FRACTAL ARTIST (you) starting threads about shortcomings of the Kemper (on the Kemper website)....well then, I'm not sure anyone can help you.

As I said - I seriously doubt that a Kemper artist (when that time comes) will be allowed to post a similar thread on the Fractal website about their issues with the Axe Fx (with Cliff's permission). Never going to happen, nor should it here.

Stay Frosty,
    JEL

• Mr. Kemper - Again, I am very impressed with your presence and concern here on the user board - I will attempt to answer your questions below:

Some questions here:

Have you done your own profiles yet?

Yes I have, and two of them have been uploaded to the Kemper Rig Exchange. I did eight more today, and believe I may have found a way to get the sounds I need, thanks to a new user on the board. (Bill Ruppert)

Have you refined them well?

I am still learning how to do this best - I have found that just playing hard for 20 seconds is not the best method for me.

Will you share them with us?

I am happy to share numerous examples, but I don't share my performing patches. The comparison that means the most is a highly distorted signal compared to the Kemper model while profiling, especially if it is direct from a modeler with no cab simulation, or an amp's line output - the Kemper model will always sound more grainy, and a bit less smooth than the reference signal.

Who told you that the KPA is doing simple EQ matching only?

No one said that's all it does, but I understand it is a part of the process, no? I was only saying that I feel the EQ match is very accurate as well as the Cab matching...

Have you used the deep amp parameters yet, such as Definition, Sag, Shape, Bias etc.?

Apparently not enough, as I am still getting the feel for how these parameters play on each other - I plead guilty on not having mastered this one...

CK

Edited 2 times, last by Radley ().

• Who told you that the KPA is doing simple EQ matching only?

I've been wondering that myself, but not saying anything :D. I believe this to be true of the cabs (which is fine, and would explain the lack of an Impulse Response Converter tool) but the amp models are a beast unto themselves.

Radley, I'm all for Devil's Advocate opinions that are expressed as a point of practical utility, as opposed to repeatedly damning things with faint praise ("concern troll"). If you don't like your amp, its resale value is surely near 100% - come back in a year and buy it again. We're all assuming that you've personally purchased your KPA (i.e., it wasn't a loaner or a gift) which means you have some skin in the game like the rest of us. If you haven't, then please let us know.

-djh

• I've been wondering that myself, but not saying anything :D. I believe this to be true of the cabs (which is fine, and would explain the lack of an Impulse Response Converter tool) but the amp models are a beast unto themselves.

Radley, I'm all for Devil's Advocate opinions that are expressed as a point of practical utility, as opposed to repeatedly damning things with faint praise ("concern troll"). If you don't like your amp, its resale value is surely near 100% - come back in a year and buy it again. We're all assuming that you've personally purchased your KPA (i.e., it wasn't a loaner or a gift) which means you have some skin in the game like the rest of us. If you haven't, then please let us know.

-djh

Actually, I have a lot in the game - namely $1800 US Dollars, and I no longer entertain any ideas of returning my unit, thanks to a simple suggestion from my friend and tone giant, Bill Ruppert.

PS: Hopefully Bill will be posting some of his rigs/patches - if so, they will be a great learning example for all of us! :)

• Guys ....the issues to me are not his comments about Kemper - but the fact this thread was started by a Fractal artist!

I don't have a problem with this part of the equation.

Fractal's entitled to list every famous artist who uses his gear, and so is Kemper....if the artists agree of course.
    It doesn't mean its an endorsement, in Hadley's case he paid for both units.

I guess once you get used to Hadley it becomes easier to understand what he's all about.
    To put it into percentages I'd say.
    15% of what Hadley says is tongue in cheek.
    25% is his sense of humour.
    40% is his eagerness for tone perfection motivated by being a touring pro musician for so many years.
    20% is stirring the pot to create the energy that drives the discussion.

There's nothing wrong with that.

• Radley

You currently have 10 threads running at the same time all criticizing the KPA.

Please, quit the "this is meant to be helpful" BS, you're now TROLLING.

Bad post, shouldn't have pressed the "Submit" button so quickly, should have given it more thought...or I could have said it in a more thoughtful way.

• Hadley - if you don't understand or see the conflict of a FRACTAL ARTIST (you) starting threads about shortcomings of the Kemper (on the Kemper website)....well then, I'm not sure anyone can help you.

JEL, this is ridiculous. please stop pigeonholing people. he has every right to speak about THE GEAR he owns.. as you do. this "west side - east side" stuff with kemper and fractal is by the way even more ridiculous. this is a forum to discuss kpa GEAR, not PEOPLE (and their possible intentions because of their possible history).

• All modelers known to man 8o