Mute option during refining process?

• Ok - substitute the word 'switch' for 'comparison'. Forget I ever said 'comparison'. I would just like to be able to switch between the reference and the profile and have the other mute to make life easier. I'm not expecting the results to null.

I've unplugged and replugged my amps and muted my mixer channels about 100 times today. It's becoming a chore. :pinch:

I get that you're proud of the KPA's ability to totally replicate a miked amp - it's really very, very good - but don't let that perfectionism get in the way of the user experience. Make the device fun and easy to use as well as sounding great. :thumbup:

• Having the amp on during A/B comparison makes total sense in a studio with relative isolation from the amp, but for everyone else it's annoying and actually makes it harder to compare.

If the amp is in the same room for most people that don't own their own studio the following occurs :

1) The amp's volume and especially it's bass masks the frequency response of the profile. So you can only tell how the treble is reacting, 'm ready to believe this is why so many user profiles are brittle/trebly and lacking in miss and bass.

2) Unless you've set up your room with the chair, amp and monitors very carefully (and who does this?) you will get phase discrepancy between the monitors and the amp. In practical terms this means that the combination of speakers and amp can sound radically different between the Profile and the real Mic'ed version, even if in actual fact you wouldn't be able to easily tell the difference hearing the two signals side by side once recorded (and sound was no longer coming out of the amp).

That's why I think there really should be an option to disable monitor out when playing back the amp and direct out when playing back the profile. This is also why I always use a DAW when profiling and have to go through a huge rigamerole of reaping the same signal twice through first amp then profile in order to compare the two side by side without hearing the amp in the room at all (and why I suggested the profile looper idea, so that it wouldn't be at all painful to do and everyone could end up with perfect profiles without going through all that).

• yes, the ability to mute the direct out when switching to the kemper while profiling is MUCH needed for ease in refining. this thread needed to be resurrected. . . so i did :)

:thumbup:

When I unboxed my KPA (3 months ago) the first thing I did was to set up everything in my livingroom to do a quick profile of my Champ. And while I was doing the third or fourth test profile I almost instinctively took a Lehle switch and hooked it between the KPA's direct out and my Champ. That did it for me.

When doing a profile I don't want to hear that spectacular "A/B comparison". I want to monitor the KPA signal without my reference amp yelling along. And by the way listening to the profile sound on my earphones while the amp howls next to me is not quite as convincing as the spectacular A/B comparisons that I have heard on Youtube many, many times before I decided to buy my own KPA.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• good idea :)