Any info on the status of the 19" KPA version?

• I am following the 19" development for a while now. But till now no real official info.

Christoph could you give us rack addicts some perspective or info about its development?

Thank you so much.

• I would like a rack version with the following:

1. a full MIDI interface for external control and outboard gear
    2. separate xlr and trs stereo outs with full parametric 4 band eq on each (to allow balancing stereo FRFR on stage and stereo FOH main feeds)
    3. an internal energy storage capacitor to allow a 5 second power loss ride through (would eliminate a reboot on a short brown out/power blip)
    4. a software editor for easier config since the rack will have reduced or more condensed front controls.

bd

• Looks like it will be a 3U, no date given for the release.

Thanks Guitarnet70,

This 3U info and the 19" pricing info was already shared on other forums. Nevertheless thanks! From different sources who meet Christof on the Namm and MusikMesse it looked like the 3U version would hit the market sooner then lot of us would expected. Would love to know more on the planning of its release. Will it be within the next 2, 4, 6 or 8 months? Just hoped for some official info

• I would like a rack version with the following:

1. a full MIDI interface for external control and outboard gear
    2. separate xlr and trs stereo outs with full parametric 4 band eq on each (to allow balancing stereo FRFR on stage and stereo FOH main feeds)
    3. an internal energy storage capacitor to allow a 5 second power loss ride through (would eliminate a reboot on a short brown out/power blip)
    4. a software editor for easier config since the rack will have reduced or more condensed front controls.

bd

Those would be nice to have, but i doubt # 3 is ever going to happen, it is a great suggestion, specially when it takes a very long time to reboot.

• I am following the 19" development for a while now. But till now no real official info.

Christoph could you give us rack addicts some perspective or info about its development?

Thank you so much.

it would be nice to have some idea, but as always with most companies they never want to let that info out, in case they aren't able to deliver on the promised date, I never liked the format of the KPA from day one, because it's hard to incorporate it into a live set up, and even in the studio, i find i have to keep moving it around from place to place, would much rather have it in a rack, so it will be Ebayed as soon as the rack is available.

• Wohoooooo!!! FINALLY a 19" Version !!! LOVE IT !!! Who wants to buy mine ?!? :D

my current Gear: Custom Strat´s (Konstinger Ultimate Guitars), VoVox Cables, KPA, Custom Floor Board, Line6 G50 Wireless, Sennheiser IN Ear, Motu Ultralite mk3, Genelec 1030A, Neumann TLM 103, Apple Audio/Video Stuff

• Those would be nice to have, but i doubt # 3 is ever going to happen, it is a great suggestion, specially when it takes a very long time to reboot.

I don't see why they wouldn't offer ride through capacity to survive a power blip....its basic electronics. As soon as the warranty is out, I may attempt to add a battery or capacitor (depending on the internal design) unless the rack really intrigues me.

bd

• I hear you, DigitalTube. But the price placement of a product must be carefully trimmed. Hours of designing and briefing go to just determine how many goodies they can and/or have to put into a new device, how much they will cost and how much it can be charged for them; and what the perceived Q/P ratio will be from the (potential) customers, how it will compare to other products... you got it.
    If you read through this board, you'll find tenths of functions and devices members consider essential, or very attractive anyway... but designers have to stop at some stages.
    I'm not saying yours is a bad idea, just the way I think things have gone :)

• Just found this on Rig-Talk,

Hey,

The rackmount Kemper is not due anytime soon. Maybe sometime next year I am told. I would love to help you with the new Kemper purchase when your ready to pull the trigger.

Brad

Can any of you moderator guys confirm this?

Thanks

• It can't be true... seriously?!

It doesn't take decades to design a metal chassis... mainly since I saw the inside of a KPA (from a youtube video), it looks like the switch electronic PCB is already mounted to the front panel and the DSP board looks to be on the bottom... so you don't need to change much to have it done in 19" rack, except if they are redoing it to improve some features... such connectors, or faster booting time (that I'd prefer to an additional battery solution), etc...

I just hope not, because it's gonna be a lonnng time to wait... there's no way I'm gonna buy the current "Head" version...

We'll see mid-july for the Summer NAMM... we might have some news... (let's cross fingers :))

Phil

• I don't see why they wouldn't offer ride through capacity to survive a power blip....its basic electronics. As soon as the warranty is out, I may attempt to add a battery or capacitor (depending on the internal design) unless the rack really intrigues me.

bd

Why not just get a small UPS and mount it to the back of the rack. Done. You'd have probably 10 to 20 minutes of playing time at least in case of power loss. :)

• It takes more time than you think. They have to design it. Think about logistics. Source parts. Tool up . Build the run.

• It takes more time than you think. They have to design it. Think about logistics. Source parts. Tool up . Build the run.

Trust me, I do know how long it takes for both design, engineering, manufacturing, logistics, distribution, etc... it's my day job and has been for several years now in the Music Industry.

And from what I saw so far, I don't see why it would take over a year to get it done (unless it's definitely not a priority or they are completely redesigning the boards).

Phil

• I don't see why it would take over a year to get it done (unless it's definitely not a priority or they are completely redesigning the boards).

I believe this could be in fact the point, leaning for the former.
    It's also a matter of programmed investments. After all, we have no clue about how much (both in absolute figures and percentage) the KPA mission has cost Kemper; they may want to consolidate their position on the market at the moment rather than investing in a new sub-project.

• Trust me, I do know how long it takes for both design, engineering, manufacturing, logistics, distribution, etc... it's my day job and has been for several years now in the Music Industry.

And from what I saw so far, I don't see why it would take over a year to get it done (unless it's definitely not a priority or they are completely redesigning the boards).

Phil

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a rack version but honestly it's low priority for me. I'd much rather them work on the firmware, fixing things, adding missing functionality and and new features.

• It's all about priority... even for users :)

I'm quite sure, the ones who already own a KPA "Head" would prefer more features, firmware update, bug fix, etc... while the ones who don't own the KPA "Head" and are waiting about the Rack (the guy just like me :)) might just prefer to get the rack first and then complain about features, firmware, bug fix, etc...

But in the end, it just depends of Kemper Roadmap and priorities... Like any manufacture (in our monetary system), they want as much customers as possible. That one way to get enough money to run the company, as well invest in R&D (or even consolidate some research done to make the product happen). And I'm quite sure they're not gonna comment on this subject and give any information about potential future product (or not).

I'm might be off on this one, but I'm quite convinced Kemper surely invest a lot of time and money in R&D for the "Profiling" system (algorithm, coding, etc...) as well as the current KPA parts (I/O and PCB design, firmware, etc...). So, they surely want to sell as much as KPA "Head" right now to help to consolidate their investment and grow to a point that will allow them to develop other project (regardless if it's the power-amp option, the foot controller, the rack version or even something they have in mind that nobody could think about *right now*).

So, unless they are very confident about their finance (or the product is coming very soon), they should have no chance for them to tell us if they're gonna release a rack version anytime soon... Because, it could hold some customer to buy it and then reduce their sales, and by definition reduce their finances... which could limit the R&D budget and their capacities to develop any next product.

I can't remember the name of the company, but it happens to a company that did announce too early that would release a "better" product in future... and then customer just stop to buy the current model and in the end the company just went bankruptcy because they didn't get enough incomes to complete the next product development.

In conclusion: Everyone has his/her own priority... but in this case, only the Kemper one if the one that matters and we're not gonna know it. So, the only thing we've got left is to wait and hope for something we want to come next :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil