Tecnichal question on Volume pedal

• Hi,

I already use the two inputs for switch pedals, 1 for wah and 1 for rig change.

I would like to put a passive volume pedal on the output between the kemper and the amp (PA).

What impedance should I use in order the signal does not degrade?

Or maybe do I have to put an active pedal?

• As you can’t use Wah and Volume at the same time (without falling over) you could use the Wah to Volume option which makes your Wah pedal a volume pedal if the Wah is not active in a rig. If you do want to add a volume pedal I would think a Low Impedance pedal like the Boss FV500L would work fine but remember in your signal chain this will be after the Delay and Reverb effects so the volume pedal will kill the tails. The internal volume pedal function can be place as several different points in the signal chain and saved on a rig by rig basis.

• Thank you Wheresthedug for your help!

The problem of using the Wah to volume function is that

1) in the majority of the rigs I have a Wah slot and

2) in some rigs I use the pedal for morphing and therefore I keep the Wah to Morphing function set.

I didn't quite understand when you say:

but remember in your signal chain this will be after the Delay and Reverb effects so the volume pedal will kill the tails.

But, if I put the volume pedal directly on the output (between the Kemper and the PA), shouldn't it automatically lower everything?

• OK, I understand you logic for not using the Wah to Volume option.

You could however just us another expression pedal instead of a volume in the audio signal path. If you use something like the FV500L it can work as either a volume or expression pedal as it has separate outputs and two different pots (one linear taper and one log taper).

The part about delay tails etc is just a matter of taste. Some people want everything to come up and down with the pedal so that if they move to the heel position they get immediate silence. You can do that with the internal volume if that is what you want. However, many people feel this is too abrupt and prefer to stop allowing any new sound but to let any existing delay and/or reverb decay naturally. The beauty of doing it with the internal Volume Pedal is that you can change how it reacts from rig to rig.

Another option is to put the volume in front of the stack. In this case it has more of an effect on gain than actual volume (depending on how clean or dirty the profile is). Again you would have the ability to easily experiment and decide on a rig by rig basis how you want the volume pedal to function.

Plus you wouldn’t be inserting anything in the audio signal path so impedance matching etc wouldn’t be an issue.

• Thanks Wheresthedug,

you're really helpfull.

My problem is that i already use the two switch inputs ...

1) for expressione pedal (that i use for wah and morph) e

2) for a dual switch (like boss fs-6) to change the rigs.

I cannot put another expression pedal is it right?

• Yes, you are correct unfortunately. If both inputs are in use you can’t add another expression pedal at the moment. There are a few options that are worth considering but ultimately you might still end up with your original idea of sticking the Volume pedal after the main outs.

The ultimate solution would be to buy the remote for all of its amazing functionality plus access to 4 addition inputs for expression pedals. Unfortunately, that isn’t a cheap option and might be overkill for your requirements.

Alternatively you could replace the FS-6 with a cheap midi pedal that would give you instant access to any rig/performance instead of scrolling up and down. This would free up one of the existing inputs for an additional expression pedal. There are several really small and low cost pedals available these days that might fit the bill.

If you decide to stick with a volume pedal you might want to try placing this in the Kemper’s FX loop rather than after the main outputs. This way you could put it anywhere in the signal path on a rig by rig basis (although placing it after the delay and reverb tails would mean you would have to move them to earlier FX slots which may not be ideal).

In answer to your original question about volume pedals though the general rule is if it is between the guitar and amp input then you need high impedance. If it is after any effects/buffers etc then low impedance.

Hope you manage to find a suitable solution for your personal needs.

• Thenk you very much,

I hadn't thought about the possibility of using a midi switch. I'll look for a cheap MIDI Switcher so I can use another expression pedal for volume and so not damage the sound.

You were very kind!

Thank you so much for your help