Is there a master volume specifically for spdif?

• First time ive used spdif with my kemper today and Im finding my spdif volume is very high (clipping) unless i keep the kemper volume on no 1. The master volume does nothing. i must be having a blonde moment. Where is the master spdiff level?

• I wonder why they disabled it?

The analog outs deliver a much hotter signal than the digital out. You would have to max out the MV on the S/Pdif out and the signal was still not as loud as the analog outs with the MV on half. So basically, people were asking for an independent/separate volume control. Most of us were keeping the MV on max when using the S/PDif out anyway - that's why they disabled it.

• The analog outs deliver a much hotter signal than the digital out. You would have to max out the MV on the S/Pdif out and the signal was still not as loud as the analog outs with the MV on half. So basically, people were asking for an independent/separate volume control. Most of us were keeping the MV on max when using the S/PDif out anyway - that's why they disabled it.

That makes sense. Ive lowered it from my soundcard now and its all working well :P

• How can the XLRs have more output than the SPDIF? I don't understand how this can technically be?

However I was getting clipping with 1.07 beta and using SPDIF with some profiles with hot levels. I could turn the amp volumes down but that is not really working for me since I am a flipper.

Glad 1.08 has master vol working.

[edit] I loaded 1.08 and master vol is NOT working actually..

Edited once, last by mikeb ().

• Sorry, I don't use the spdif (actually I record almost nothing, I'm just a live player) but that was my understanding of the release notes...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Okay 1.0.8 has my spdif levels too hot that they are unusable, and im forced like the above poster to turn my cab down, which is a massive no no for my mixes. looks like im back to 1.0.6 for now. I guess its a beta for a reason! Good on them for constant improvement, its the most exciting prospect when you own it.
    I really hope that Christoph chooses to include a dry signal send DI over SPDIF to record in our DAW. This instantly makes the Kemper reamping capabilities so much more attractive for us budding engineers.

--
    Beau McKee - Producing Engineer
    @ Frequency Studios
    RECORD - PRODUCE - MIX - MASTER
    Phone: +61 421 938 284

http://www.BeauMcKee.com

• I' ve got the same issue. The spdif signal is too hot and i can't reduce the input level of my DAW / alesis Io26. So, is there any other trick to handle this?
    Reducing the clean sense makes no real difference and I already have reduced it to nearly 0.0 ...

My signal chain is: guitar --> KPA --> SDPIF OUT (set to Git/ Mod Mono) --> spdif in of my alesis....
    By the way, both signals are too hot, but for the "Mod Mono" Signal i use to reduce the volume down to 2- 3 for each rig, so that i can compansate that.

Hope you can help me on that....

• I' ve got the same issue. The spdif signal is too hot and i can't reduce the input level of my DAW / alesis Io26. So, is there any other trick to handle this?
    Reducing the clean sense makes no real difference and I already have reduced it to nearly 0.0 ...

My signal chain is: guitar --> KPA --> SDPIF OUT (set to Git/ Mod Mono) --> spdif in of my alesis....
    By the way, both signals are too hot, but for the "Mod Mono" Signal i use to reduce the volume down to 2- 3 for each rig, so that i can compansate that.

Hope you can help me on that....

How can the Spdif signal be too hot?

• How can the Spdif signal be too hot?

I have similar setup, and I confirm that the clean (left) side is too hot, and clips the signal a lot. I tried the "gain" workaround you mentioned in another topic and it didn't work. I also tried lowering with my soundcards volume panel, but again, no luck.

• How can the Spdif signal be too hot?

Good question... but it's just the case.
    I have got clippings and the monitor of my DAW says, that the incoming signal via SPDIF is about - 3 DB in peak. And unfortunately I have no possibility to reduce the outgoing signal at the Kemper nor the incoming signal at my DAW. (I have this problem with single coils as well with humbucker PUs).

What is more, I am also not sure if I do something wrong, because the other signal (MOD MONO) is so high, that I always have to reduce the volume from 5 to 2-3 for every sound (see my comment above).