Waza Tube Amp Expander for making profiles?

• Has anyone tried this? I'm looking for a way to make profiles silently. I'm wanting to shoot my own IR's and make profiles of different rigs and add the IR's later. I think the Waza might be a good too for this but does anyone else have reservations? I've done some listening to profiles made with the OX and they aren't quite there...would this process potentially be any better?

• I make profiles with the Waza TAE and I have no reservations about using it at all. I have made profiles with mic and speakers in the past and I find it easier to get a profile I'm happy with when using the TAE, probably because monitoring and comparing the profile to the amp is so much easier when using the TAE.

Brian

• Thanks Brian - and you find the feel to be the same. What I noticed when comparing OX profiles with the real thing is that they’re a bit harder than ones with real mics- especially in the high end.

• I haven't noticed any difference in feel but I haven't been able to do a side-by-side comparison. If you do find a difference in the feel you may be able to adjust it a bit with the Resonance and Presence controls of the reactive load on the TAE.

• That seems like a big help and difference from the OX for sure. I’d think it’s alsi better than direct profiles cause you can bake in the IR and hear how it sounds before profiling as well as refine the whole chain which you really can’t do to a direct profile.

• I would like to know how you went about making direct profiles with your TAE as the Kemper manual reccomends against using load boxes to make direct profiles.

The manual is referring to simple resistive loads however, both the TAE and Ox are Reactive Loads. These try to mimic the impedance curve of a real speaker. Whether this reactive load actually matches the impedance curve of your own preferred speaker is another matter but you won’t do any harm by trying it. I have done it with a Two Notes Torpedo and got reasonable results. They were definitely different from the results using my Mesa 112 Thiele EVM12L cabinet but they were still in the ballpark just a slightly different flavour.