Understanding Delay modulation

• Hi!

I'm new with the Kemper and I'm trying to understand how the modulation settings works in the delay module. Seems that the modulation parameter works only in stereo and the real modulation controls are the flutter intensity and rate ones.

The manual states that "The speed of the tape passing the recording and playback heads, of a tape delay varies randomly due to several mechanical reasons such as tape wearing. This results in both slow and fast pitch deviations of the delayed signal. Flutter Rate varies the overall speed of these random deviations.". I'm trying to get a modulated delay like The Edge's one, where he sets the modulation rate to certain speed (sometimes related to tempo), but seems that the variations in speed with Flutter are not constant, but random, so is it possible to get that kind of effect?

Thanks!

• Thanks, but he is always using some degree of modulation in his delays, using usually a triangle wave in his SDD3000 or a sine wave in his 2290. Sometimes is even more of a vibrato than a chorus, using a high rate level (about 4-5 Hz), you can hear here when he's playing Pride or bad:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sounds like you've figured out that the controls you're trying to use won't get you there. The modulation in the SDD3000 isn't there to emulate tape (like in the Kemper). I'm not near my KPA right now, but I seem to recall that some delay types have both a modulation *and* a chorus parameter. Maybe that?

Perhaps look at a parallel path with chorus/vibrato mixed in? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hope you get what you're after. Would love to learn about your results and how you get there.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thanks again, the suggestion of a parallel path with chorus/vibrato seems interesting, I'll study how to make it (I'm still a noob with the Kemper).

If I get it to work I'll try to post the preset.

• Have you tried the Swinging U2 delay preset that's in the Kemper Factory Content 7? It's available through Rig Manager under All Presets/Preset Packs. There's a Modulation parameter in the Rhythm Delay used there.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I would prefer to see separate speed and depth controls for the modulation but it still works, and tho it seems subtle it can be quite prominent at volume, id try a high setting of 8.4 ish, and put the delay before the amp and boost the delay with a stomp boost/od and adjust from there also maybe check your stereo percentage try 0% it might focus the delay a bit. The wobble is there tho?

Ferg