On tour with 2 KPAs

• Hi folks,
    at the moment I am on tour with a band in germany. We play blues, blues rock. This is the type of music were you need the so called vintage sounds. We have 2 guitarists in our band. Both played Marshall JVMs before and switched to Kemper. Now on tour, here is what I think about it:

1. My first concern was the stability of the device. It's a computer so by right you can be mistrustful - no issues till now!
    2. Sound on stage - I am using Matrix GT800FX into 2 Thiele Cabs loaded with EV12L - Great!!!!
    3. Sound on PA: We just did 4 gigs - Same happened on all the gigs:
    After sound check the soundmen came to me and asked, what is this? I said: This is somekind of a preamp (to answer with a nice understatement). I replied: Why you are asking, any problems on your side? He: By far - no!! Never had such a clear and powerful sound so quick and easy. I am really impressed.
    Very nice that the soundmen are beginning to love guitarists. The ones who are always to loud and disturbing with their harsh sounds :)

P.S.
    At the moment I just use one rig in different gain combinations. Uwe's JCM 800 with tubescreamer. I also like the Fuchs, Xtasy, Soldano and CAE from Fischer.

• Fischer,

Are you using a midi foot controller for preset switching, volume control, and stomp on/off? If so, have you had any 'glitches' with that?

Thanks.

All modelers known to man 8o

• Not to step in where I'm not asked, but just to add more data...

I've gigged over 1/2 dozen times now with a Ground Control Pro and two Roland continuous controller pedals (for wah and volume). No issues whatsoever other than the one I mentioned where if I had one rig set to more than one location and made a change to it. I have my GCP setup like this:

Bottom 4 switches change rigs (usally clean, medium drive, heavy drive and then lead, I add a light drive to clean to get the between tones)
    I have switches set up for:
    Boost (+4db for solos)
    Chorus
    Flange
    tap tempo
    Boost in front of amp rig for more gain
    delay
    reverb

Wah pedal is set to turn off when heel is down
    Volume is set post amp

Also used a Rocktron midimate with a few less buttons and it worked fine too.

Oh, and I also used a 5 (with power connector) - 7 pin midi cable so I could provide power through it and cut down on onstage clutter.

Fischer,

Are you using a midi foot controller for preset switching, volume control, and stomp on/off? If so, have you had any 'glitches' with that?

Thanks.

• @Bluesmann

Thanks for that story. Where will be your next tour stops?

Radley
    I'm using a ROLAND FC300 which works out well with the KPA and which I like because of the 2 expression pedals. I would prefer electricity provided by the amp, but with a special cable, a friend of mne made, we'll get it via thew MIDI cable.
    No glitches.

• Hey, I was wondering if I could get a little help from okstrat about setting up the Ground Control Pro? I see that you are using it exactly the way i need to use mine. I'm having a little trouble setting it up. I used it with my axe fx with no problem, but i don't see where in the kemper to set this up. On the axe fx, you go to the midi page and assign the effect to what pedal you want to use. I just do see how to setup the CC on the pedals or how to assign patches to the bottom four switches for that matter. I can get to the midi setting in the kemper, but it's a little confusing! Thanks!
    Brian

• I don't have a GCP but for my controller you just navigate to the patch you want, then press system and scroll to the MIDI assignment page. Patch assignment starts at MIDI CC 1 and moves up to ...?
    The list of MIDI CC to switch the pedals is in the manual and has been posted on the forum a number of times.

• To the OP: could you PM me the next dates of your German Tour? I would love to come around! 8)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Fischer,

Thanks.

Yes - I use a MidiMate made by Rolls to switch between the rigs and a Roland pedal for Wah Wah. The Roland pedal is a toy and the cable was defect after two gigs. I also have a Yamaha pedal for volume control, but I don't use it, because I can use the KPA just like a normal amp. Little adjustments can be made by handing over and turn the knobs if wanted.