Profiling adds quite some hiss on high gain amps SAMPLE EDIT

• But yes, they are!
    Cutting ground loops by the switches can prevent hum AND hiss.

The profiling process will not add hiss. But the hiss is recorded and kept during the A/B comparison, to make it fair.
    Once you save the profile or switch to browser mode the recorded hiss is thrown away.

Having built pro rigs for major artists I have never been able to get rid of hiss caused by gain staging by cutting a ground loop sorry ...Hiss is just the nature of every active electronics gain stages pilled on top of each others ..I posted sample above ..you can hear the added hiss amount once the amp is profiled..of course it is not terrible but once you start to add gain pedals to this it becomes way too noisy like some of the profiles on the exchange can testify

Thx

BRUNO

• You will catch some hiss created by the digital direct out in the profiling mode. This hiss will not influence the profiling process and will not be part of the sound.

And yes, I was often able to reduce hiss by cutting a ground loop, still hum is the major noise source.

• For me hiss was a big problem with the kemper but it was maybe cause i received a malfunction hardware (i send it back and i'm in a tie to think about the Kemper)

I did only one profile cause of my direct output problem, it's a little fender frontman, in clean position.
    You can hear the hiss is really bigger with the profile than reference amp (first amp reference then profile, a- b a -b a-b etc...)

This sample is all through the kemper (direct output in amp, sm57) but with my direct output problem if there is more hiss cause of that, it must be the same in amp and the profile right ?
    On my monitors the hiss seems to be 1,5 or 2x bigger in the profile than the amp.

http://soundcloud.com/mugiwara-4/test-profiling-a-b-frontman

• Your unit was defective..thus you never really heard the Kemper..get another one ;)

• You will catch some hiss created by the digital direct out in the profiling mode. This hiss will not influence the profiling process and will not be part of the sound.

And yes, I was often able to reduce hiss by cutting a ground loop, still hum is the major noise source.

Let's forget the ground loop thing..I have no ground loop there so..did you listen to the file I posted ?? Hiss is slightly higher in the profile than in the original..Some posted rigs do have way too much hiss than in the real world too ..of course you need to cut the gate to hear it ..

thanks

• I will check out your sample. I know for me I have not experienced any additional hiss or noise after profiling, in fact the profiles have been quieter then my amp. I am pretty particulair about noise and what not as well. That has been my experience and stinks you are experiencing something else. What is your completed chain?

• I will check out your sample. I know for me I have not experienced any additional hiss or noise after profiling, in fact the profiles have been quieter then my amp. I am pretty particulair about noise and what not as well. That has been my experience and stinks you are experiencing something else. What is your completed chain?

Guitar/Evidence HG/Kemper/HG/AXEFX2/HG/Kemper/SPDIF / TC K48

• didn't care about the hiss, wanted to check the profile... as i loaded a whole bunch today i'm not sure, but were these the axe II ones? if so: generally i'm not too keen about axe profiles, as i always prefer the actual amp ones, but besides that these might have been the best axe profiles (for me) so far... , funny enough i just scrolled through my new presets without looking closely and stopped there and wondered, hey: this reminds me of my former axe fx... and was proven right when checking the display... so - perfect clone from kpa as far as i'm concerned :thumbup:
    i forgot how spoiled i am (/we are) by the "even better - real" profiles.... lucky kemper crowd.

thanks for sharing mate!

• didn't care about the hiss, wanted to check the profile... as i loaded a whole bunch today i'm not sure, but were these the axe II ones? if so: generally i'm not too keen about axe profiles, as i always prefer the actual amp ones, but besides that these might have been the best axe profiles (for me) so far... , funny enough i just scrolled through my new presets without looking closely and stopped there and wondered, hey: this reminds me of my former axe fx... and was proven right when checking the display... so - perfect clone from kpa as far as i'm concerned :thumbup:
    i forgot how spoiled i am (/we are) by the "even better - real" profiles.... lucky kemper crowd.

thanks for sharing mate!

yes this is an AXEFX2 preset but not stock. now do not ask me what I did to it I don't remember LOL ..I will profile a few more before the Axe goes to its new owner... I only have it for two days now..I really wanted to compare to the Kemper..the Kemper is closer to a real amp feel sound and "life"

• Let's forget the ground loop thing..I have no ground loop there so..did you listen to the file I posted ?? Hiss is slightly higher in the profile than in the original..Some posted rigs do have way too much hiss than in the real world too ..of course you need to cut the gate to hear it ..

thanks

I have listened to that. Never had this. Is this difference always?
    Anyway, you will have noticed that the noise disappears when you stor the profile or go to browse mode.
    Any noise that comes from a stored rig has nothing to do with the noise that you have recorded

• I have listened to that. Never had this. Is this difference always?
    Anyway, you will have noticed that the noise disappears when you stor the profile or go to browse mode.
    Any noise that comes from a stored rig has nothing to do with the noise that you have recorded

Yes most of it dissappears once it's stored but a little remains..It's not much but it's there ...so you think my amp have a little problem ?

• OK - I checked my lower mid post-EQ boost and it is +5db at 200z at .5 Q factor (I was just guessing last night) - this has a much different effect than boosting the Amp's bass control.

All modelers known to man 8o

• I have listened to that. Never had this. Is this difference always?

Hi Christoph, sorry for the OT here, but what exactly changes between the profiling mode and browser mode with the profile? Maybe I'm misinterpreting things but it sounds like you're saying that the algorithm goes through some sort of optimization/cleanup phase, which to me is a little alarming as it might take the sound further away from the sound of the original "warts and all" amp. If that's the case is there any way to disable that?