Why the Kemper is really future proof for at least the next 15 years

• CK stated this:

"We have no plans or ideas to improve the core sound engine of the profiler in terms of getting closer to something.
    If we ever applied changes to that in the future, we will still make existing profiles and rigs sound the same.

My plan is to let your profiles and rigs sound the same in 15 years, as you have created it today. No matter what hardware, software or firmware you run it on. Of course there will be improvements and paradigm shifts. But no technical innovation can algorithmically improve the sounds that you have created by 20% or whatsoever.
    If there is an innovation, you will have to add it to your sound by hand and in purpose."

Not want to start another flaming but this is exactly were another company has let their customers down greatly altough prommising "life-time" updates. Not to mention the permanent tweaking with every update.

This is for me exactly the reason to wait for the 19" 4U KPA version.

Thanks CK for sharing this decision.

• You're so right, that "other company" got on my tits too with their empty promises of backwards compatibility, constantly rejigging the firmware and making changes that broke existing behaviors, purely to block out the homebrew crowd, removal of features like Linux support, then the debaucle with the passwords and user info, the list goes on and on...

...we're talking about Sony and the Playstation right? :P

Bear in mind that Christoph hasn't stated that the current generation hardware is future proof, nor that there wont be improvements and changes to the profiling system, fx or amps sounds, only that the KPA platform will be backwards compatible for it's lifetime; and hinted that given the Virus there's every change that in 15 years it will still be going strong.

So there may well be a KPA Ti or KPA 2 in due course which can do more and will make better sounding profiles that are "120% Realer"(tm), but it will be able to load and use original KPA profiles and they will sound exactly the same as the day they were made.

• This is something everyone that plugs into a Kemper daily must be wondering. Will there be a Kemper Ultra,and/or a Kemper II in the future? :P
    I hope that my space toaster (technology and customer support) holds up for many more years before I have to fork out the cash for the next latest and greatest. But then again, if I find something I like, I tend to stick with it. I only just now got away from Windows XP. Only, because my CPU died.
    Here's to hoping for a long-lasting marriage with the little unit that has me excited about guitar playing again :thumbup:

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• I think I remember Christoph saying that there won't be a KPA2... I cannot remember if it was on this board, or in an interview though... it might have been the latter

I think it would be a shame if they don't keep up with the latest fastest technology that will be available in the future, the kpa is it is now might be enough for now, but who knows what crazy effects etc will be possible in the future? But only by using faster chips. Kpa will be left behind if there is no KPA 2 etc in the future, don't think the others will stay behind the technology just to have patches that are compatible, and being afraid to piss off a few people who aren't willing to re profile their sounds... I'll stick with whoever keeps improving things, even if it means my old profiles/patches won't work on newer hardware/firmware.

• How much more improvement is possible? Eventually, won't we reach the wall for modeler/profiler possibilities?

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• How much more improvement is possible? Eventually, won't we reach the wall for modeler/profiler possibilities?

I think much more could be possible in the future, the ability to blend different profiles, high quality pitch effects, and synth effects, polyphonic distortion, guitar modeling (with special pickups) etc etc, some of it is already available in other devices like the Roland VG, but having all this in one unit that profiles properly would be the ideal, so yes there is a lot more in my opinion that could be done in a future KPA II, but of course it's up to Kemper to decide what to release in the future, but I predict that's what's will happen..If Kemper doesn't do it someone else will.

• Lets say the rack version will be KPA11...but as CK says, technology can't improve the algorithm.
    A more powerful processor can't improve the algorithm.

I'm predicting most of the current KPA owners will buy a rack version as well.
    You have to own both, one you carry around and one that stays in the studio.
    Adding FX and all sorts of other stuff can be built into a Kemper FX only rack unit, or even into a future floorboard.

With previous modellers we knew that future technology would improve the tone, get us closer to the miked amp tone.
    Well, we're at the miked amp tone, we've come full circle, now we're confused...we want more, but we don't know what the 'more' is. :)

• I think you imagine people are wealthier than hey are then. Instead I think that a very few professional users will get both, but more likely some will sell their lunchboxes to get the rack and others will stick with what they've got, and the rest who will be new users will just buy one.

If the rack proved to be more powerfull, or offer better i/o etc in short to be a kemper 2 then I think more people will be selling their lunchboxes and moving up. But I still doubt that many will own both at the same time. It was quite hard enough to justify the price once here (and among most guitarists I personally know that have the unit).

• ...but as CK says, technology can't improve the algorithm.
    A more powerful processor can't improve the algorithm.

A more powerful processor might allow another better algorithm... even if the "current one" can't be improved, it doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

It neither means the current KPA is not good at all. I can see few areas where it could be better... some might be fixed by firmware update, some might need a hardware upgrade.

Few exemple? The first one is the booting time... I want something that is starting in less than 5 or 10 seconds max. Also, I would like a Stomps audio loops and an Effect stereo loops for better integration with other gear. I also which it would include a loadbox to be able to Profile an Amp only without any external tools.

Nonetheless, if they want the KPA to be used live (and not only studio / home-studio), I need some features such dual amps (X/Y) Rigs.

There's also some areas perhaps not possible today such: profiling of stomps or even cabs... that could perhaps be possible in feature with new algorithms.
    After all, what we could not profile any stomps since we can analyze input signal (that reproduce every nuances from a guitar) and output signal... You like a great chorus pedal, just plug it in, profile it and you can use it... done. It might sound "no doable" today, with today's technologies and thoughts... but nobody knows about the future.

10 years ago, we would hear someone talking about "profiling Tube Amp", we would have say: it's not possible... So, it might take quite some time, but there's no thing I'm sure: there's absolutely nothing in the analog world that can't be reproduced in the digital world.

However, even if I'm convinced new products could happen in future, I'm still gonna buy the KPA Rack because it will still be good for what it is. And I choose to wait for the Rack version, because I don't want to spend twice the money on the "same" sound/product. I prefer instead, invest on some stomps, some external effects, etc... When I will have everything in my racks, I will have no problem to use it at home, in studio, or even on stage...

Due to the current economy, I clearly doubt people will buy both...

Phil