New user - Need some help understanding Cabs vs Imprints

• The nomenclature is a bit confusing for me - doubly so because I am using a Kabinet/Kone with my powerhead. Using this free M Britt profile as an example, I see the rig has an Amp (Mars 50) and a cab (Guy Ton 212). However, if I click the "Cab" button on the profiler (or look in the editor), it is all greyed out and I have "global imprint" selected with a jensen speaker (which is a speaker, not a cab, right?)

I have tried both variations of Monitor Cab "Off" in my output menu but it's still not fully clear to me what the default is. If I want to use the M Britt profile the way he intended (with the Guy Ton 212), what do I need to do? I think another way of asking the same question is... how do I use my Kabinet like an FRFR and use the cab/imprints of the profiles the way they were originally created?

EDIT: I realize in the screenshot i've selected a dif rig but it's the same issue

• Hi, jsr2497.

The nomenclature is a bit confusing for me - doubly so because I am using a Kabinet/Kone with my powerhead. Using this free M Britt profile as an example, I see the rig has an Amp (Mars 50) and a cab (Guy Ton 212). However, if I click the "Cab" button on the profiler (or look in the editor), it is all greyed out and I have "global imprint" selected with a jensen speaker (which is a speaker, not a cab, right?)

I have tried both variations of Monitor Cab "Off" in my output menu but it's still not fully clear to me what the default is. If I want to use the M Britt profile the way he intended (with the Guy Ton 212), what do I need to do? I think another way of asking the same question is... how do I use my Kabinet like an FRFR and use the cab/imprints of the profiles the way they were originally created?

EDIT: I realize in the screenshot i've selected a dif rig but it's the same issue

You need to tell the Profiler you are using the Kone, AND that you want to hear the Cab (Monitor Cab Off disabled).

That puts the Kone in FRFR mode and then applies the Cab from the Rig.

Or on the Profiler.

Output settings

Page 8/8

Kone Enabled

Cabinet Off Disabled

• Hi again, jsr2497.

I noticed you're new here. Welcome.

Here are some resources that will help you to get the most out of your Powerhead and Kabinet/Kone.

? Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides ?

? Rig Manager Download and Documentation ??

? Kemper Tutorials & Demos (videos) ?

? Before you buy Commercial Rigs and Profiles check out the Rig Manager for Rig Packs and Rig Exchange

I'm glad you're here.

ST

• CAB = includes the information of speaker + microphone.

In order to activate the Kabinet you need to activate KEMPER KONE. Some smart little robot inside the Kemper does same math in order to take away the microphone sound so you only get amp and speaker.

If you want to get rid of the recorded speaker sound as well, click MONITOR CAB OFF.

This will switch your Kabinet to imprint mode and you can choose a different speaker than the one from the profile (or choose exactly the speaker from the profile and get a better 'amp in the room' feeling).

• Thanks - this was helpful. I also realized I was only looking at pg 2 of the Cab page. Page 1 would have let me select different cabs.

So just to ask the same question another way...

Why/when would I switch my Kabinet into imprint mode? Assuming I want the sound of a given profile to be as close to the designer's vision for it, i would stick to FRFR mode, right?

What is the difference between choosing a different Cab in the Rig vs choosing a different speaker in "imprint mode"?

• Hi jsr2597.

✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄

Why/when would I switch my Kabinet into imprint mode?

For fun!

I know people who like to mix 'n match different amps and cabinets or swap out speakers in cabinets.

Assuming I want the sound of a given profile to be as close to the designer's vision for it, i would stick to FRFR mode, right?

While, honouring the designer's vision for the profile is fine - but sometimes "just because we can" is a reason "we should".

What is the difference between choosing a different Cab in the Rig vs choosing a different speaker in "imprint mode"?

The Cab is a speaker driver in a cabinet plus the microphone (and its placement) run through a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) system (often the Front of House (FOH)). That's what you're swapping when you choose a different Cab.

The Kemper Kabinet/Kone is all about the "Amp in the Room" sound. With the imprints you get to swap out virtual speaker drivers. No microphone, no FRFR or FOH system.

Just you in the room with the amp and speaker in a cabinet.