Coming soon - the Black Goop Profiling Sessions

• Hi,

Haven't been posting much since the Fenix Profiling Session. The reason is that I have been busy preparing and sourcing equipment for my latest profiling session. People seemd to like my efforts from that session so I thought I would do another. So here's a teaser.

The aim this time was to get closer to three types of sounds I really like/want/need.

1. A Marshall type sound that works with a three single coil Strat type guitar. It should be fat enough to work with single coils (even the bridge position 8) ) but not so fat as to overshadow the sonic detail of a good single coil pu. It should also be very dynamic and respond well to dynamic playing and changing the volume on my guitar should clean up the guitar very well. I want three gain levels with this type. Cleanish, crunch and high gain lead (with some more mids).

2. I love Larry Carton's clean sound. I want it! I know some people will call me a non-original copycat but I'm cool with that because I know that even if I get that kind of fat sound to go with a 335 style guitar I will still end up sounding like me and not like Larry C. ;)

3. I also love some of Larry Carlton's overdrive sounds. The aim here was not to exactly match the tones but rather to match the dynamics of the tones. The way the sound reacts to picking dynamics but also to the use of both the volume on the guitar and the use of a volume pedal before the amp.

Needless to say it took me some time to get the stuff I wanted. The funny thing is when I got to try the stuff I thought I needed, I found that some of the product weren't working for me. So I returned everything and started researching again. Finally I found some interesting and not all too common products and borrowed them (some of them I couldn't afford) under the condition that I didn't tell anyone what products I was using and who I borrowed them from. The owner was afraid the product builder would be angry if he lent the product for profiling purposes. I'm used to working under NDA conditions so I have no problem with that. And this is the reason I call the session the Black Goop Profiling Session as some of the product builders use the practice of putting some black goop over critical design components in the products so people can't tell what's doing what.

So I started working and after a while I had my sound pretty close to where I wanted them and started profiling. I like profiling. It's fun stuff. The thing that surprises me is that clean sounds always seem harder to profile.

I'm nearly done tweaking the profiles and when I'm done I will post the profiles on the exchange. Free of charge but I will happily accept donations. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

• ... Did I got you right, Mats? You did profiled a real Black Goop?...wow.... My dreams comes true...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Is there such a thing as a "real Black Goop"?

Cheers,

Mats N

AFAIK Dumble was notorious for just that and he maybe even was the first one to do so.

But I can imagine other amp builders who might not be amused when one of their amps is profiled. Although it wíll happen eventually with any amp worth profiling anyway.

I tend to think of it that way: Steinway and Bösendorfer never tried to prvent people from sampling their pianos either ;)

• But I can imagine other amp builders who might not be amused when one of their amps is profiled. Although it wíll happen eventually with any amp worth profiling anyway.

I had a conversation with a builder at NAMM and he said that he didn't know if he should be flattered that I used profiles of his amp or if he should be annoyed that people took his sound and potentially his livelihood, He said he was joking but I must agree that it's somewhat of a serious issue for some builders.

Cheers,

Mats N