Greenback cab...show it some love...

• Save the Siggi Mehl cab, it's a Greenback 25.
    Lock the cab, browse through Marshall Profiles, awesome.

Take Andy's "Wem" Profile (free), use the Greenback cab...kaboom!

Thanks to Rainer Hain for the suggestion & tip.

• The 4x12 Blackbacks of Baldis 03 is also nice.
    Different, but also nice.

That's the other one mandatory for vintage Marshall sound. The cab is probably Markus Wienstroers as I know he owns one.

My guess is the greenback is a G12M25 and the blackback is a G12H30. I don't know for sure but they sound just like it. And they are supposed to be very old cabs and surely sound very broken-in.

Now if only somebody would profile an very early Marshall cab with G12M20s which I believe were alnicos and supposedly what Clapton used while playing for John Mayalls Bluesbreakers.

• I just had a few thoughts about it. Since i am really not at all familiar wirth those G12Ms and G12Hs, could you guys loose a few words about them?

I am thinking about instead of all that hazzle with renting and transporting another 4 x 12, i could simply buy one of those:

http://www.thomann.de/de/celestion_g12h3016.htm

With rental fee and gas it would nearly come out the same costs. Owning it i would have more time to getting used to the tone. Plus, if i place it in a mixed cab together with V30 or G12T75s i could also make some nice combinations. Since the Heritage one has about 100db sensitivity it would also be loud enough to match the V30s.

What do you think? Good idea?

• That's the other one mandatory for vintage Marshall sound. The cab is probably Markus Wienstroers as I know he owns one.

My guess is the greenback is a G12M25 and the blackback is a G12H30. I don't know for sure but they sound just like it. And they are supposed to be very old cabs and surely sound very broken-in.

Now if only somebody would profile an very early Marshall cab with G12M20s which I believe were alnicos and supposedly what Clapton used while playing for John Mayalls Bluesbreakers.

Clapton uses Alinco Golds mostly and has for years. if he plays fenders its jensons (AFAIK) -from an interview on his tone in a old guitar mag (sound on sound) long time ago.. my memory may not be accurate but thats what I remember...

• This is not Celestion's best effort to recreate a G12H30. The real, England made, reissue of an old Celestion is the Heritage series G12H30:

http://www.thomann.de/de/celes…2h_55_heritage_8_ohms.htm

This is the one with the "bass resonance frequency" of 55Hz which is what some guys in the 60s prefered (most notably Hendrix and Kossoff). There is also one with the 75Hz (what Marshall thought would be "guitar"-) resonance but most people go for 55Hz these days.

And then there is the G12M25 which has a completely different sound (midrange peak, less bass and treble) and is what most people think of when they speak of "Greenbacks", although the G12H30 has the very same green dustcab on the back hence could rightfully called "Greenback" as well. Both speakers were used in the original Marshall 4x12" cabs from around 1966 onwards. The G12H30 came a bit later and was used for the 100 Watt cabs as Hendrix and Townshend managed to blow the 25 Watters on a regular basis (read: twice a week ;) ).

Unfortunately Celestion didn't reissue the G12M25 speaker in the Heritage series, it is now all China made. I haven't checked those recently but I've heard pretty mixed opinions about them. They are low efficency speakers and wouldn't match well with V30s or G12T75s. The latter would probably overshadow the poor lonesome Greenback ;) The G12H30 on the other side could work pretty well in a mixed environment although I've never done that. I know of some people who mix G12M25 and G12H30 in a 4x12" cab and get great results. But I don't know anything about mixing them with V30s or 75Ts.

As far as the quality of the current Celestions goes:
    Many lovers of the G12H30 and the G12M25 sound think Celestion doesn't cut it any more and buy Scumbacks or Weber legacy speakers - which are essentially the same. I never tried a Scumback but I had a G12H30 Heritag in my Laney Lionheart and I really liked it. It does need an awfully long time to break in though.... Think of months instead of days....

• Clapton uses Alinco Golds mostly and has for years. if he plays fenders its jensons (AFAIK) -from an interview on his tone in a old guitar mag (sound on sound) long time ago.. my memory may not be accurate but thats what I remember...

Yes, I think I'Ve heard that too. But I was refering to his Bluesbreaker period in 1965 where he played a Series II combo. The amp got lost and nobody knows what speakers were actually in there. Probably not even Eric knows and that gave course for much speculation. From the date of manufactoring - Eric bought that combo as a replacement for the JTM halfstack that got lost in greece so there are some firm dates - the speakers could be alnico G12M20 but also the higher wattage G12M25 with ceramic cones. Marshall switched about the time Claptons amp was supposedly built.

It's just like the discussion about his use of a Dallas Rangemaster. Pure speculation but a lot of fun. Over at the thelespaulforum.com are many nice threads about Claptons Beano sound and what he might have used.