preamp shootout! focusrite vs art vs none

• Recently picked up a Focusrite isa 110 preamp. Also have an ART tube preamp. Thought it might be fun to compare each and see if there were any differences. All comments are with a vintage SM57 used for testing.

No preamp - just ran an SM57 straight into the kemper for profiling. This sounded good, but was slightly dull on the high end. not saying it was unusable, just not as bright as the other two.

ART Tube Preamp - a few more low mids, thickest sounding, little more high end than no preamp. This would be nice for some amps like marshalls when you would want a really thick full tone.

Focusrite asa 110 - Brighter than no preamp, and more clarity than the ART. more highs but not harsh, it seems to jump out of a mix a little more. Where the ART is thicker and fuller, the Focusrite has more detail and well, focus.

I'll have sound clips this weekend. My personal favorite is the Focusrite because it just sounds better to my ears. Reminds me of running a mastering plugin - just has a little more of everything and sounds bigger.

ART is great sounding for the $. Heck, no preamp sounds good too. It's not a night and day comparison - you'll never hear a profile without a preamp and then the Focusrite, and think the Focusrite was a different amp or anything... but there is a small difference.

Clips in a few days. Also will have some new profiles up, Mesa Maverick! ;0

Pete

• Really looking forward to the clips. I was thinking about getting a channel strip, such as a neve clone to run into the pre so you can give it a desk EQ before the amp is profiled, was thinking about how this might also work in a DAW solution as I have UAD neve plugs already as well as slate VCC for that analogue console vibe.

Spence

• I just did a single strum on an E chord for my sample clip. Each preamp. I'll post it this weekend. Did some recording with the profile that had the Focusrite, and I'm digging it.

How do you like the Slate VCC? I use his drums and they are awesome.

Pete

Really looking forward to the clips. I was thinking about getting a channel strip, such as a neve clone to run into the pre so you can give it a desk EQ before the amp is profiled, was thinking about how this might also work in a DAW solution as I have UAD neve plugs already as well as slate VCC for that analogue console vibe.

Spence

• I wanted to test with a mic that probably everyone has. I doubt there is a mic on the planet more often used by musicians of every stripe than an SM57. I have condensers and a ribbon I'm going to audition with it also.

What condensers would you recommend?

Running a dynamic mic is not such a great test, use a condenser where the pre is ever important. you will notice a bigger change.

• Any condenser will do fine. - the reason the 57 is so popular is you dont need fancy Pre's to get the best out of it. - a 57 will always sound like a 57 near enough no matter what Pre.
    A condenser will show the true colors of a Mic pre. - then use that coloration (of the pre) to your advantage when micing up an amp, then set the amp controls to compliment rather than fight it.

• I just did a single strum on an E chord for my sample clip. Each preamp. I'll post it this weekend. Did some recording with the profile that had the Focusrite, and I'm digging it.

How do you like the Slate VCC? I use his drums and they are awesome.

Pete

The Focusrite pre's are, IMO, untouchable for the money. The do a dimensional thing I particularly like.

The Slate stuff is top notch. Making a hybrid console from the selectible desks in VCC is supurb and very useful. Very good for getting sheen on some tracks or more dimensional fatness on others...

I too use the Slate drums. I run 3.5 for the drums themselves as I love NRG studio for room ambience and they are easier to dial up than in Slate 4.0. HOWEVER, has much improved cymbal samples and building kit facility. Both together are a treat. I was told by Slate folks that expansion packs will be coming for SSD 4.0 EX owners. :thumbup: