Moonrise

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well I guess I'm continuing down the path of Per in the 1960's and 1970's trying to get close to the sound and feel of those recordings. Mostly what I'm learning is that I really like mono hard panned bass and drums, it makes it sound very punchy without having to fight for as many frequencies. But also that less is more and requires a lot more effort to track right and plan out and that I'm very much lacking in that regards, this genre is not something here you can hide behind synth pads interesting textures etc. e.g. this composition has far fewer tracks than I'd ever normally use.

Against all rational logic I continue to have an ever increasing amount to learn.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well I guess I'm continuing down the path of Per in the 1960's and 1970's trying to get close to the sound and feel of those recordings. Mostly what I'm learning is that I really like mono hard panned bass and drums, it makes it sound very punchy without having to fight for as many frequencies. But also that less is more and requires a lot more effort to track right and plan out and that I'm very much lacking in that regards, this genre is not something here you can hide behind synth pads interesting textures etc. e.g. this composition has far fewer tracks than I'd ever normally use.

Against all rational logic I continue to have an ever increasing amount to learn.

Sounds brilliant, i love the tune

• This particular panning technique reminds me of two characters in a movie walking down a similar path but separate off into their own journeys. I hope that's not too deep of reflection, but I could definitely see this being done in a movie especially with surround sound. Taking notes. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for checking it out chaps!

Franjoe30 Thanks!

BayouTexan I can see where you’re going with that. I’m finding it a very relaxing approach to mixing two of the most important and usually difficult parts to mix. Which makes me think that my approach when using full stereo or mono is completely wrong and I need to go back to square one there and re-learn the art of balancing the bass and kick drum.

BayouTexan I can see where you’re going with that. I’m finding it a very relaxing approach to mixing two of the most important and usually difficult parts to mix. Which makes me think that my approach when using full stereo or mono is completely wrong and I need to go back to square one there and re-learn the art of balancing the bass and kick drum.

Don't ask me... I am just a noob at this mixing stuff :D, but I do know that positioning of instruments in the stereo field is very important. Take the U.S. for example; when we listen to music in our cars (which is probably where most of us got introduced to a hit song in the first place) our steering wheels are on the left - which is probably why Ted Templeman purposely put Eddie's guitar on the left channel. Then history was made. 8)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.