Foot Controller Compatibilities and Issues

• Hey guys, im Alex a super happy owner of the Kemper for less than a week. However i had to cancel a gig due to problems trying to switch it live with a midi foot controller. What do u guys use and what issues have u encountered if i might ask?...
    I used RJM's Mastermind which worked well for my Axe Fx(gone, im a kemper guy now) and had no issues but when i plugged it to Kemper it gave me problems.
    The issue starts in this sequence:
    1. Edit and make a preset n save it to preset 1...make no.2...make no.3...no.4 ...n no.5...all is well.
    2. Switch between presets for about 10 minutes while i practice with the songlist as well as make minor adjustments and save that...so far is ok.
    3. All of the sudden i step on preset no.3 on my RJM Mastermind and it wouldnt select it...it stays in either 2 or 4 or wherever i was in before...i cant even use the browse knob to select the sound now....cant use the arrow buttons to scroll through rigs either...i hhave to restart programming everything.
    4. Rebooted, restarted and reinit the Flash Memory, used only preset patches etc for a few times and the problem would just occur out of nowhere.

Soooo, i hv a super beautiful sounding unit that i cant use live....i hv a Midi Mouse and a Ground Control Pro but i really wanna use the RJM Mastermind with this setup.

Can someone enlighten me and help with this issue...appreciate it. I really wanna use the tagline 'Im a Happy Kemper' on Facebook and Twitter but i really cant cos of this issue ;( ...here's hoping i can use that line very soon :D

Anyone?

Regards,
    Alex

• Are you on the latest FW? Older version had freeze problem with CC# 0. I would also make a factory reset on the mastermind: if it was programmed for the Axe it could be that it sends several different messages on different midi channels.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Are you on the latest FW? Older version had freeze problem with CC# 0. I would also make a factory reset on the mastermind: if it was programmed for the Axe it could be that it sends several different messages on different midi channels.

Hi, yes ive reinit my MASTERMIND many times...im also on the latest Firmware. What foot controller are u using??? Would the Ground Control pro work better???

• I'm using an old FC50 for rig change and 2 FS-6 for stomps, waiting the KFC to come out, but is just midi, it shouldn't really matter which controller. By sure the mastermind is sending the KPA something that he shouldn't. Set both to 1 midi channel (the same, not omni) and check the mastermind settings/patch. Somewhere he must be sending some more PC or #CC (probably on a different channel)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yep, been checkin and rechecking that as well and i did use Channel 1 on both Mastermind and Kemper as opposed to Omni...and the thing is, it works perfectly for like 5-10 minutes which means that it was setup properly. Then when u actually start rehearsing ur songs n start switching between the 5 patches one decides to simply not change, the patch cant be loaded etc.

• Lol, nothing is dumb at this stage ill try anything...no i havent tried a new midi cable. Will do that tonite and update this post. Im reeeealy hoping it is only a faulty midi cable. However i did see alot of post w people having similar issues, did that get fixed at all?

• Sooo, yeah...i tried another cable. Even tried Midi Mouse instead of Mastermind. Still the same thing. The problem happens once i save and assign to say preset 1...i edit again then save....load preset 2....then load preset 1 again thats when the preset disappears even when u want to load using the 'browse knob' the preset is there but it wouldnt load. Why havent i heard from kemper? Anyone???? :S

• Sooo, yeah...i tried another cable. Even tried Midi Mouse instead of Mastermind. Still the same thing. The problem happens once i save and assign to say preset 1...i edit again then save....load preset 2....then load preset 1 again thats when the preset disappears even when u want to load using the 'browse knob' the preset is there but it wouldnt load. Why havent i heard from kemper? Anyone???? :S

Do You edit the Rig name after assigning the Midi preset #?

Edit: when you assign the preset nr, you cannot use anymore the "Save as" option, because this duplicate the rig (including midi assignment). You need to use the "Replace" or the "rename" options

• Do You edit the Rig name after assigning the Midi preset #?

Edit: when you assign the preset nr, you cannot use anymore the "Save as" option, because this duplicate the rig (including midi assignment). You need to use the "Replace" or the "rename" options

^^^^THIS^^^^

Or, if you've assigned the same PC number to 2-different rigs ....say, you changed your mind on rig-number sequence and you didn't "unassign" the midi PC # (in the original rig) this exact issue will occur when you get to the duplicate number with your foot pedal.

• Do You edit the Rig name after assigning the Midi preset #?

^ ^ ^ ^THIS^ ^ ^ ^

Or, if you've assigned the same PC number to 2-different rigs ....say, you changed your mind on rig-number sequence and you didn't "unassign" the midi PC # (in the original rig) this exact issue will occur when you get to the duplicate number with your foot peda

• Didi you simply try to switch the profiler off and back on fafter it happened?
    What firmware version are you on?
    Did you update it after purchase?

Hi Chris, yes ive done that all the time just to be able to use the sounds again but the problem lies is the midi crash making it super impossible to use live unless i use one patch only (i use at least 10)...
    Im on the latest 1.1.0 firmware...i downloaded it on the same day of purchase last week.
    Would reinstalling the firmware help?

• ^ ^ ^ ^THIS^ ^ ^ ^

Or, if you've assigned the same PC number to 2-different rigs ....say, you changed your mind on rig-number sequence and you didn't "unassign" the midi PC # (in the original rig) this exact issue will occur when you get to the duplicate number with your foot peda

Yep, here's what i did in sequence...i downloaded Two Rock patch from Rig Exchange....edit the patch and save it as ATTwoRock with my Initial in the beginning so i can find the ones i normally use in the beginning of the browse 'by name' section.
    I then assigned it to preset 1.....everything is ok.
    I play around a bit .... everything seems ok...then while changing between the 5 patches it crashes.
    or...I edit the sound a bit and save it as 'replace'...once i save it that way it crashes.

Im doing it right...right??? Did i get a faulty unit??

• Sooo, been dealing with support...we noticed that the clock on my kemper is not working and it might be whats messing it up cos it writes and saves the same patch with the same time or somn like that.
    Anyways, heres hoping its not a major issue...Mr.Chris Kemper, if you're there, is there a solution i can do without waiting another day for tech support's reply? I really wanna get this working and start practicing and gigging again ^^ .