Can I record without SPDIF?

• I use a Scarlett 2i4 which does not have the SPDIF in/outs. I would like to record with my Kemper where I can basically re-amp to use it like a plugin, if I just run a direct out from the back to the interface it just sounds bad. Is the only way to get an interface that has the SPDIF in/out? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question..thanks.

• If you don't have SPDIF, you just have to have the ability to send the D.I. signal to the Kemper's alternate input, then back to the interface with the Kemper output you like. Preferably, you'd have more than one set of outputs on your interface (one dedicated just for the Kemper), though I think you might be able to make it work with one set, and then monitor the reamp with headphones attached to the Kemper. I have SPDIF, don't use it though.

Here's how I do it in Reaper DAW:

Assign the D.I. track to a hardware output, and mute (uncheck) the send to master track setting, so it doesn't play back on the normal outputs.

Cable from that hardware output to Kemper alternate input. (unplug any connection to the main input, and set the input source to 'Alternate input')

Cable from Kemper main output left to interface input.

I record/monitor on a new track. If you only have one set of outputs, it might feedback? Then monitor with headphones to the Kemper.

Next, you should deal with the added latency all of this takes, as your re-amped tracks won't line up in time.

In Reaper, Reainsert can be used to measure the latency offset in ms, then you apply that offset value to the recording settings, and bam, the re-amps are in time. Other DAWs should have some method of measuring and adjusting the reamp latency, definitely get that set before recording, or it'll sound righteously bad.

Sounds confusing, but works easy once you set it up.

• Why complicate it when you have spdif? I don't get it.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Why complicate it when you have spdif? I don't get it.

Well, if all I was ever doing was re-amping, then probly it would be ok.

I don't normally use the SPDIF for 3 reasons:

*The DAW session had to be @ 44.1khz sampling rate with SPDIF, or the sound is off, and I like to use higher than that sometimes.

* I get glitches at low buffer latency, clicking and dropouts. Never happens with analog inputs.

* SPDIF has a longer latency than analog. Yes, it's a very small difference, but it is longer. (record both at the same time, you'll hear it...)

None of those things are issues with the analog inputs of the audio interface, and it sounds exactly the same tonewise.

One unusual drawback to this audio interface is it doesn't have 'direct monitoring', you have to 'record monitor' in the DAW only. The analog inputs will run fine @ 32 samples buffer, I have to increase it with SPDIF.

• What interface are you using? I have a spl crimson and no problem with latency. click or dropouts.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Cool.

Haven't heard too much about SPL, will have to look into them.

Right now I'm using a Presonus quantum 2626 thunderbolt interface.

I've had a new unit on order since September, a Motu Mk V. Supposed to finally come in next week (we'll see...)

I'll try the SPDIF again when I get the new interface.