KPA with MeloAudio Midi Commander - help please!

• Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Kemper community and just recently purchased a KPA non-powered toaster and hoping that someone here may be able to offer me some guidance regarding using the Midi Commander foot switch with the KPA.

The Midi Commander comes with a KPA host mode. When I activate this mode, the Midi Commander allows me to toggle up and down between profiles (using the UP/Down buttons and A-E buttons) just fine. However, when I hit any of the buttons (1-4) for the effect switches, the Kember gives me a message saying "bank is empty".

I tried going a different route trying to use one of the Custom settings that would allow me to assign the appropriate midi numerical effect switch commands (from the Kemper manual) to each button ( A=17, B=18, C=19, etc...). Well, this worked perfectly to allow me to toggle the effect switches on/off. However, the weird thing is that when I toggle up and down to change the profiles (in performance mode) the number on foot controller does not match with the profile number on the KPA. For example, the very last profile that I've saved to in the performance mode is in slot number 8. However, in order to get to that profile on the foot controller, I need to get the Midi Commander to slot number 10 (while the KPA still shows the profile in slot 8). Does that make sense or is that clear as mud?

I'm completely baffled and not sure how to resolve this issue. Would greatly appreciate some assistance from any of you who have experience with the Midi Commander.

Kind regards,

Fred

• The scenario is nat crystal clear as you are not using precise terminology. What do you for example mean by "slot number 10"? Performance 10 or Slot 5 of Performance 2?

The other unclear item is, how the MIDI commander is navigating in Performance Mode

a. via the absolute method with bank select and program change

b. the relative method with control changes 47-54?

Perhaps the explanation is simple:

You are trying to load a Slot, which is not enabled and the PROFILER therefor loads Slot 1 of the Performance as this is enabled by definition. Disabled Slots cannot be loaded remotely.

The selection Performance Load has an impact if the relative method is being used. Perhaps Keep Slot is selected.

Using the absolute method there is confusion between the numeric value range 0-127 and the logical value range 1-128. The PROFILER displays logical values for MIDI bank and program change in Performance Mode.

Perhaps it's a combination of these.

• One more idea:

Perhaps your MDI Commander is using the relative method to step/scroll through Performances (MIIDI control changes 48/49).

And it sends value 1, when you hit the button and value 0, when you release the button. If you hold the button for a while, the PROFILER will start to scroll through the Performances and stop as soon as it receives value 0. If this is the case, a mismatch of Prformance number loaded and what the footcontroller displays is a natural result. Your footcontroller cannot know, how fast the PROFILER scrolls and where it stops. It would require a feedback message, which is only possible if a footcontroller uses our proprietary bi-directional protocol like Uno4Kemper and some others do. Without the bi-directional protocol, the footcontroller jjust just be sending zero values. Sending a 0, when the button gets hit, will trigger a step and never start to scroll.

• Hi Burkhard,

Firstly, thank you so much for taking time for answering and providing me with such a detailed response...truly appreciated. In my example, I was trying to say that the display showing the Performance number of the Kemper is off. Meaning that in order to get to Performance number 8 on the Profiler, I need press the (up/down) buttons on the Midi Commader to "slot" 10 (on the display of the Midi Commander). As for the second response, I don't believe that the Midi Commander is working in relative mode because if I hold down the Up/Down button it does not scroll through the Performances on the Kemper. In order to change Performances on the Midi Commander, I need to depress the Up/Down buttons to the appropriate number then hit any one of the "A-D" buttons to get it to change Performances...make sense or clear as mud?!

Thanks in advance,

Fred

• Ok, let's assume the controller is using the absolute method to load Slots in Performance Mode.

That means the controller is either sending a combination of bank select and program change, which would allow to load any of the 625 Slots in Performance Mode. Or it is just sending program changes, so that it can only load Slots within the current bank. Example: If you are currently in bank 1, the controller could load all Slots between Performance 1 Slot 1 and Performance 26 Slot 3 by sending one of 128 program changes.

To load Slot 1 of Performance 8 it would have to send program change 36. I guess, this number 36 is sent by button A of bank 10 of your controller.

In other words the progam change numbers the controller is sending are not correctly lined up with the Performance and Slot structure of the PROFILER.

I see, that the controller has four buttons A-D in the lower row plus a button E in the upper row, which can be used for two different purposes. Perhaps the default setting of your controller is just using buttons A-D!? And the program changes are aligned to these four buttons. In that case button A of bank 2 would send program change #5, which loades Slot 4 of Performance 1 of the PROFILER. This is where the mismatch starts. Program Change #36.

In any case, this is a controller issue. You need to check, which program change and potentially bank select your controller is set up to send from which of its presets And if this is really associated with the Slot your are intending to load.