No SPDIF Reamping Problem

• Hi Fellas! ,

I've just got a 'Kemper Stage' and I am a total newbie on reamping stuff. I've searched the forum but most of the people handle the reamping situation by using spdif. But i want to make it with regular ins and outs. Unfortunately, i couldn't find enough information that works for my gear.

I am using SSL 2+ and here is all ins and outs :

kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/17189/

As you can see outputs in section 2 are for monitoring. I guess i can't use these outputs. So I think the only chance is using rca outputs as line outs.

All rca outputs are unbalanced and here is their specifications:

So, am i able to reamp properly with this gear? I am planning to make it like this:

1) Kemper Stage main output Left (XLR) <-----------> SSL2+ input 1 (XLR). / With XLR-XLR cable

2) Kemper Stage send1 (TS) <----------> SSL2+ input 2(TS)./ With TS-TS cable

3) Kemper Stage return1 (TRS) <-----------> SSL2+ output 3&4(RCA). / With TRS-DUAL RCA cable

IS IT GOING TO WORK FOR ME? DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• First off... You will be flagged for using all CAPS in the title. Best to edit to "No SPDIF Reamping Problem....."

Second... You can do reamping without SDPIF, however, you are limited by the 2 input form factor of the SS2+

You would have to do mono reamping using Input 1 for the guitar and Input 2 for the DI signal, and one of the outputs to return back to Kemper. You won't be able to reamp with any Kemper stereo effects (they will sound mono) but you can add a stereo plugin (like delay, etc) from yourDAW.

See this thread and pretty pictures...

How to Reamp Kemper with Reaper (non-SPDIF Method) Tutorial..

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• thanks for the reply, i changed the title. I know I am a total rookie :P. of course i red your manual before ask to forum. It was great but there were some issues for me while I am trying to apply the instructions with my own gear. But you're right. I guess I should have been more specific.

I know, i can only reamp mono and already was planning to reamp in mono. So, it is not a problem.

My problem is MOTU M4 has 1/4 TRS line out and it is BALANCED. But SSL2+'s RCA outputs are UNBALANCED.

SSL2+ rca outputs have less then 1 ohm impedance but MOTU M4 line out has 100 ohm impedance. I mean it is a huge difference and I have no idea what is the effect of impedance in the setup. MOTU line out's max level out is +16db. SSL2 rca out's max level out is just +6.5 db. I think the level difference should be related with being unbalanced or balanced.

So my question is, Is it okey to sending signal from UNBALANCED rca output to Kemper return ? If it is okey, should I use a TRS to DUAL RCA Kemper and use both output 3&4 or TRS to SINGLE RCA and only output 3 ?

As I know return input must be TRS because that's what Kemper user manual says. But rca outputs are unbalanced so the signal will be unbalanced. God, this unbalanced-balanced signal thing makes me confused ||

• You can use Unbalanced Cables (TS) on short runs (less than 9 feet maybe). Longer than that and you pick up noise. I am using TS cables from Kemper to Interface with no problems at all, but they are only 3 feet long and shorter (like patch cables). I am using TRS cables from my Interface to Studio Monitors.

I have no experience connecting an RCA-TS cable to the Kemper. I am using just a TS cable into the Return and it works well. This is what the manual says an using RCA into the Return Input...

RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT (4)

The ALTERNATIVE INPUT can be used as a rear-side guitar input, which is especially convenient for the Rack, and PowerRack models. The parameter “Input Source” needs to be set accordingly in the Input Section.

The RETURN is available as balanced TRS or XLR input. While it plays a key role during PROFILINGTM, as explained in the chapter Taking a PROFILE, it can also be used in combination with the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND to loop in external equipment. In combination, RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT can function as a pair of stereo returns. Details can be found in the Effect Loops chapter.

Both the RETURN and the ALTERNATIVE INPUT can also be used as auxiliary inputs. You could, for instance, use this feature to mix in music from your mp3-player and play along. In this case you will need a special cable with 3.5 mm stereo jack on one side and two ¼ inch mono jacks on the other side. You will find the corresponding mix controls in the Output Section.

So, I assume RCA-TS(TRS) cable would work.

You could use one of the 1/4 Outputs of the Interface to the Kemper Return as an option. Then use headphones when reamping since you would loose a connection to one channel of your monitors.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.