Kemper with pedals - Active bass

• Hi there

I purchased some pedals to use for my bass rig as I can’t get the RM to work.

But

they don’t sound great going into the Kemper.

So my signal chain is

EMBB SS - TU3 - Micro Pog - DG VMT - DG AOmicron - MXR Phase 90 - Bass Clone - KPA (into Orange 1x15cab)

I’m using an Ampeg SVT rig set fairly flat and the onboard preamp is flat.

The VMT sounds like a very light overdrive and the alpha omicron doesn’t change sound no matter what setting. A / O. I’ve either got a dodgy one or I’m doing some drastically wrong.

I haven’t had long to mess around and different patterns but I’m thinking of putting the DG in front, pog after, then modulation and tuner last for a more direct OD

any advice ?

Thank you

ash

• I'm not sure I can offer much useful advice, but since there have been no responses... I use a Kemper powered toaster with guitar and bass with great success. I've never had any issues with stomp boxes not working.

1. Buying pedals because you can't get RM to work seems like an odd choice. A thread about how to get RM to work might be helpful. You can also add effects off the front panel of your unit with no need for RM, although I understand why you might prefer RM. I like RM as well.
    2. I use the Kemper SVT profiles and find them to be very good. It should not preclude your pedals from working properly. Do the work right into a more traditional amp? Do they work if you bypass the amp and cab block?
    3. The problem you describe seems more basic that pedal order. If you use just one pedal in front of the Kemper, does it work? Perhaps, try using each one by itself first.

It seems your choice of abandoning RM and moving to pedals is creating a more confusing situation. I would get RM working first. I am not aware of any reports that RM could not be made to work on a supported device and OS. Then I would check each pedal with a traditional amp before trying them on the Kemper. Based of those results, I would then try them on the Kemper. I find the Kemper has 99% of the effects that I need for bass and guitar. FYI with bass I typically use the parallel path with some direct signal mixed with the SVT with effects(usually octaver, multiple compressors).

• RM doesn’t work at all. I’ve had the Kemper for a few years now. Nothing works. Doesn’t copy & paste, can’t download packs I’ve brought and can’t drag it over either. So I was utterly fed up with the rubbish software that can be used with the Kemper. I’m using the latest version and KPA is also up to date.

I’ve used the effects from the front of the amp and nothing sound a good with bass. Fine with guitar but poor with bass.

The pedals sound so muffled almost like a blanket is in front of the amp. The PP is so poor on Kemper. I’ve used pedals on normal amps and they work fine but those amps aren’t mine.

I’m getting to the point of selling the KPA. It’s average at best.

• OK, it seems you don't like the Kemper. Some dislike it and others think it is excellent. YMMV.

One thing at a time...

1. Why doesn't RM work? What have you tried? What type of computer do you have? What OS. How is it connected? I've had my toaster for about 18 months. RM has significantly improved in that period of time for me. I've downloaded many 3rd party profiles. So, you can download them correct, but you can't install them on your Kemper, right? I would try to document some specifics of RM failures(copy/paste, profile loading, etc..) and start specific thread for those or report them here and perhaps we can help you.
    2. I don't have experience with your particular pedals so can comment much other than I have used pedals and had no problems. BTW, what are you monitoring with when you are using Kemper for bass?

I would recommend targetted problem solving before giving up.

• Tbh I love the Kemper. It’s served me fine for two years, touring, recording etc but that was using guitar and guitar profiles.

Recently I’ve downloaded 3rd party profiles. Tone junkie Mbritt etc and KPA won’t accept it. They are the .krig type but won’t download.

I’ve been into rig exchange and dragged profiles into my KPA, these won’t copy & paste / drag into performance mode.

Computer wise I’m using windows 10 (updated to latest software) and connecting via USB. It registers the connection as I can see all the previous downloaded profiles and live performance profile settings. RM and KPA updated in the last two weeks to the latest software.

I had a thread open but the admin closed it down and sent me a warning message so I can’t win.

Monitoring wise

Shure PSM300 IEM

Orange 1x15 cab

Bose FOH system

Focusrite into DAW

• to paste or drop any rigs into the slots of a performance the Profiler needs to be in Performance mode and the performance in Rig Manager that you want to edit needs to be loaded into the Profiler. The headphone symbol next to the performance name in Rig Manager appears if the performance is currently loaded into the Profiler.

• to paste or drop any rigs into the slots of a performance the Profiler needs to be in Performance mode and the performance in Rig Manager that you want to edit needs to be loaded into the Profiler. The headphone symbol next to the performance name in Rig Manager appears if the performance is currently loaded into the Profiler.

I’m well aware of how it works as I’ve used it for two years but it now no longer works. It isn’t good enough for an amp of this caliber to have software that doesn’t work.

• The behaviour was different in older versions but if you run a recent version and follow the above mentioned process and still encounter an issue please open a ticket at the Kemper website for further support.

• The behaviour was different in older versions but if you run a recent version and follow the above mentioned process and still encounter an issue please open a ticket at the Kemper website for further support.

I’ve reported this issue on multiple occasions and got absolutely nowhere. The support is really poor from Kemper.

• I use mBritt and TJ profiles and have no issues loading them into the profiler via RM. I have experienced one issue related to trying to load a profile out of a zip file. You probably already know this, but you should unzip the data into a folder and load from there. With windows file explorer, sometimes it is not obvious that you are exploring a zipped file as it appears as a folder with content.

For bass, I monitor with Adam A7s at home and always use a Darkglass 2x12 when playing live. From the speakers you list, I can't identify any reason why you are not having a good experience with bass. The powered Kemper with Kemper SVT and B15 profiles sounds GREAT through the DG cabinet. A 'real' bass cabinet is a requirement for live performance for me. Not that I normally use it, but I want the capability to shake the earth if I want. Nothing worse than performing live with a bass rig that doesn't deliver tone in a defined way.

• I really can't make sense of this thread. I use bass, pedals, RM, and the Kemper all the time with zero issues or complaints from other musicians, only compliments.

I'm also an IT professional of over 20 years and your comment about the quality of the software for something this complex is just nonsense.

• RM doesn’t work at all. I’ve had the Kemper for a few years now. Nothing works. Doesn’t copy & paste, can’t download packs I’ve brought and can’t drag it over either. So I was utterly fed up with the rubbish software that can be used with the Kemper. I’m using the latest version and KPA is also up to date.

Either the profiles you "borrowed" are corrupt, your Kemper needs service and/or you are completely clueless.

Rock On! 8o :thumbup:

• Would be good to know if you've had any results from the advice or if you're still in a dark cloud about the Kemper and unable to get a great sound.

I feel bad that my bass tone is so simple to dial in without needing extra hardware.

• Would be good to know if you've had any results from the advice or if you're still in a dark cloud about the Kemper and unable to get a great sound.

I feel bad that my bass tone is so simple to dial in without needing extra hardware.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve since been using an orange head for the bass as I’ve been unable to get any decent sounds out of the Kemper. Everything sounds 2D and blanket type. Fuzz pedals sound like a mild overdrive and other pedals just don’t work the same into the Kemper.

Taking pedals out and just focusing on built in effects and straight up clean tones, it still sounds flat, 2D and not alive and full like I’ve heard other people say. I’ve used other cabinets to see if it was a cab issue and passive / active basses to work out what the Kemper issue could be.

I’ve purchased profiles for both guitar and bass and it still sounds the same. I’ve never had an issue with any other amp I’ve used, borrowed, purchased and toured with. Straight up tones and room filling crushing sound.

Kemper sounds like a toy compared to these. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Another ticket was raised yesterday and advised to do init global reset. No change to the sound.