Volume/Level matching between profiles...

• Hi All,

I wanted to ask / verify this before posting this in the feature request section. I've read the manual, and unless I missed something, there doesnt seem to be any sort of level / volume match feature between profiles.
    I find that this makes it harder to audition profiles for songs as invariably "louder = better" syndrome kicks in and can off throw comparisons.
    Additionally, for auditioning profiles in your songs/mixes, switching profiles with different levels can be a pain, requiring you to set the volume and replace the current profile in the Kemper. It can also throw off any gain staged channel strips you have built for yourself in your DAW...but I digress....

I use my Kemper as both a practice tool and as a recording tool. I record at 0VU (note NOT 0dbfs) and as a result, with my converters, my 0VU level is approximately at -20dbfs. Is there a way for me to lock my output volume of my Kemper to -20dbFS via SPDIF? I tried adjusting the master output and it makes no difference to the spdif output level. Only the volume knob for the profiles seemed to have an effect on the output level. I connect my Kemper to my soundcard via SPDIF (obviousl! :) ) to avoid an additional stage of a/d/a conversion.

Some sort of universal level setting in the Kemper would be nice. Something that adjusts the output level in accordance with what the settings you set are or how hot your guitar signal is.

Does such a feature already exist?

Thanks
    -DD

• This is straight quote from the KPA reference manual page 8, I don't know if this answers part of your conundrum (especially paragraph 3 and 4). I don't have major problems with the volumes of different rigs after doing what the manual says (mainly adjusting the clean sens and storing presets for my different guitars):

"Volume

The VOLUME knob on the right side of the lower panel is the individual volume of the currently-selected
    rig. Note that this parameter does not drive the sound into any power amp distortion, so it will not change
    the character of the sound, only the volume. The setting is stored with the rig.

✔✔If you want to modify the overall volume of your Kemper Profiling Amplifier, use the MASTER VOLUME instead.

The KPA is designed so that every profile, distortion or compression will produce approximately the same
    loudness, thereby avoiding any extreme volume drops or peaks when you browse through the rigs. All the
    factory rigs come with VOLUME set to the center position, which is the unity or default volume.

If you feel that clean rigs sound softer or louder than distorted rigs, please don’t try to fix it by adjusting
    the volume of the rigs! Instead, you should readjust the “Clean Sens” parameter in the INPUT menu to
    match your guitar to the KPA.

Try using the VOLUME knob to adjust the level of each rig to suit a particular song in a set list, rather than
    to balance the level between all the rigs. Be sure to store the rig afterwards, if you want the volume change
    to be permanent for that specific rig."

• TMV
    Thanks for that. It seems I did indeed skip over this issue.

The thing that got me is that when you press the Input button, the Store button does NOT light up. I am on the latest public beta 1.1.1 firmware. Kind of threw me! :)

I guess I will try to match my guitars input sensitivities to output at the RMS level I require.

Many thanks, man! :)

• Hmm....| just had a mess around with my guitar and my Kemper and I set the Clean input to 6 and left Dist at 0. Now for me, the ultra cleans and super distorted tones are more or less evened out, though not perfect.

But for some tones there is a definite difference in level.

Can someone check these on their Kemper so that Im not going mad!
    <> All Rigs ---------------- <> Sorted By Date
    Liquid Metal, press rig Left button to Steave Crunch 02
    There is a definite level difference.

I even compared them in my DAW on my meters and there is a difference of the RMS between the 2....roughly 4db or so difference, which is quite substantial in terms of RMS differences (note, NOT the same as peak differences).

Its not the only ones that are different level wise. I think that this feature of the Kemper could do with an update! :S

• I had the same need in the past and I solved it tweaking each rig using the CABINET VOLUME to match volumes between different amp profiles.

Here you find my backup file if you want to see how it worked for me...

See also my tread A METHOD for ordering and naming KPA sounds (useful also to compare Amps and Rigs) in the Tips and Tricks section...

Maurizio