Laney LFR 112 : your settings ?

• Hi everyone,

I've bought the Laney lfr 112 and I can't find the sound I really want, it sounds either too boxy or too harsh for me.

I know that it depends on the profile and that it depends on tastes too but could you share with me your settings if you have one? It could help me, dialing them and see if one sounds best to my ear!

Do you use the hf trim on the back and do you use frfr or not?

In the Kemper I've used pure cabinet at like 4.0. I don't know if there's other settings to check!

Thank you so much by advance and wishing you a good day and good playing :)

Anthony

• Hi Anthony,

I had a chance to play Kemper through Laney LFR 112, hoping that it will sound "better" that praised Yamaha THR10.

Sadly it was harsh and boomy. Hi gain amps (PV5150, Rectifier) sounded "good", because hi gain amps cover the sound with "chugga chugga". But clean amps and crunch were either sterile or lifeless.

Never had any success with any FRFR.

• No experience with the Laney unit.

I almost always use non guitar cabinets. Whether you would call the cabinets that I use FRFR or not is up for discussion. I am skeptical of anything called FRFR because I see FRFR as a sales moniker created to specifically entice users of digital modelers/profilers to part with their money. I see nothing special about these so called FRFR units. I have gotten great results with some PA cabinets that are not labeled as FRFR. In any case, the Kemper is very sensitive to the design and quality of the cab that you attach it to. This is only my experience. I mentioned this is another thread where I listed some examples of cabs that I have used. In the end, there are a wide range of results and buying an FRFR unit is not a guarantee of anything other than your money is now someone else's.

• My Laney LFF-112 work well for me with my old Atomic Amplifire modeller based setup.

Conventional wisdom was to HPF at around 150Hz on that modeller. I always set the switches on the Laney flat, set the gain to unity and controlled the volume from the modeller. From memory the feed to the Laney was from the mixer inc, any EQ the sound guy set.

I only really used the Laney at home with the Kemper. It sounded okay but I can't comment on how good it is at stage volume. I quickly moved to the Kemper Kabinet and I feel that is a far better match for the Kemper.