Rig spillover problems?

• Is no-one else having problems with rig spillover?

I am using delay in the DLY module, and reverb in the REV module.

Rig spillover off is NOT selected.

Yet when changing from one slot to another in performance mode, sometimes rig spillover works, sometimes not.

Any ideas?

Something weird I have discovered is that if I switch off Kone Kabinet in Output, spillover works. Is this a bug of some kind?

Any solutions?

• Well after many hours experimenting with the Stage, and searching online too, I think I know what's happening, so I thought I'd post here in case anyone else wonders.

I reckon the rig spillover issues are due to the Kemper's processor just maxing out and not being able to provide rig spillover, due to the demands being placed upon it by complex reverb and delays.

I suspected cpu load might be to blame following much Googling of this issue, so I decided to test the theory. I initialized a Perfomance, so only the 'Crunch' default rig in slot 1, slots 2-5 blank/disabled.

I started recreating my rig with a profile in slot 2. I added the following:

A = Compressor

B = empty

C = empty

D = empty

X = Micro Pitch

MOD = empty

DLY = Quad Delay

REV = Ionosphere Reverb

All this is with Kemper Kone on.

By the way, apparently if a module is occupied by an effect, that will add to cpu load even if the effect is switched off, so if an effect is not going to be used it's best (apparently) to empty any unused effect modules.

I use an expression pedal as a volume pedal with the above.

I also set up morphing: with base sound, the Ionosphere Reverb was 60% mix, when morphed, this changes to 100% wet, 0% dry.

When I play on slot 2, then switch back to slot 1 ('Crunch' default), rig spillover works fine.

Then I duplicated the slot 2 rig to slot 1, but making a change I wanted (Ionosphere reverb parameter 'Pitch 1' from -12 to 24). Slots 3-5 still empty.

Now when I changed from slot 1 to 2, or vice versa, rig spillover will not work at all, although if I turn off 'Kemper Kone' then it works fine again.

So that appears to be the limit of what the cpu can do.

Ionosphere is a gorgeous sounding big ambient reverb, I imagine it is very greedy for processor power.

With the Micro Pitch modulation, Quad delays, and volume pedal swells with some unusual chord voicings, it sounds wonderful.

Rig spillover works fine on my more basic rigs, with standard hall or room reverbs.

My original Performance, with the above 2 rigs, and 3 others as well, all works great and sounds great, as long as I stay within a slot. It's only the rig spillover that doesn't work when I change slots.

I do have a few Strymon delays/reverbs, I will experiment with using external effects loops to ease the load on the Kemper CPU. I imagine that if two slots both have a stereo return from external reverb, but only one of them is actually sending any signal to the loop, then when I switch from one slot to another, that will in effect give me a rig spillover, in fact better than rig spillover as the external delays/reverbs will continue until they naturally fade, however long that is, instead of a forced fade in a second or two as with rig spillover.

The other possibility I'm considering now is buying another Kemper Stage, and using an A/B switch to switch between the two Stages. That could be really interesting for big, ambient sounds that I can play over with all of the profile and effects options of a Kemper available on the second Stage. Better than 'freeze' on its own.

• I have had the same issue and I think you're right - it seems to be a processing power issue. I've cleared my rigs of morphs and unnecessary effects, it seems to be working and then I just add loop distortion and the trails stop. So I can only conclude that the Profiler is working almost to its max with these big reverbs and something small can just push it over the edge.

I've tried to get round this by using making the most of morphing and using stomp button assignment rather than rig switching....Not as easy on the feet but keeps the trails.

• Just an update on this if anyone's interested. Kemper support were great. I explained that I had 2 simple rigs within a performance and was losing the delay trails when switching. Both rigs had Ionosphere Reverb and Dual delay. One of the rigs also had Loop Distortion. When switching to the rig with Loop Distortion the trails stopped. Going the other way the trails carried on. The reply from Kemper confirms the cpu load issue below:

"Thank you for sending the backup. I was able to reproduce the issue you are reporting. When I switched off the dual delay in the reverb slot spillover worked both ways.

As it turns out the combination of the Ionosphere reverb and the delay is taxing the CPU too much to reliably provide spillover. If your application requires the combination of delay and reverb please consider using a single rig and use the morphing function for any required changes between the rigs."