Tips for blending R121 and Sm57 for profiles ?

• That sounds pretty painful and cumbersome - having to replace the entire profile in your performances just to change the mic balance.

Maybe easier to separate profiling and speaker miking: do one DI profile of your amp without speaker and create different Impulse Response mixes (with varying levels of the 121) to try with your profile. Now at soundcheck just switch IRs with the same profile until you're happy.

I don't see how that would be easier than taking a number of profiles with same reference amp settings, only difference being the blending.

Spend 5-10 minutes with the band playing in rehearsal to find the best candidate - work on that reference point from home. You don't need to add it to performances before you know what you will ultimately be using.

• I don't see how that would be easier than taking a number of profiles with same reference amp settings, only difference being the blending.

As long as it's only one profile, I'd agree - but multply this with several profiles captured with different amp settings, and possibly subsequent tone stack tweaks, then we're in different territory...

But as usual, there are multiple ways to get where you want to go - it also depends on what equipment and software you have on hand. I happen to have tons of IRs and plugins to mix them, so for me it is very easy to run through a whole gamut of IRs with different mic mixes, while leaving the core profile untouched. I rarely make my own profiles; I mostly use commercial ones and adapt them to my intended sound by changing cabs/IRs, so this workflow is extremely easy for me; I would just come to a rehearsal / gig armed with my favorite profiles and a set of cab mixes. Select the cab mix that works best in the band context with a middle-of-the road profile, then paste it to all my profiles - done! This would then be my "live cab" to be used with all profiles going forward. One variable eliminated...

But that's me, and my workflow - after having worked with IRs for years with various modellers, plugins, etc,, it's just muscle-memory to use different IRs to change the sound to fit a mix...

• that shouldn't be necessary - once a sound is properly set up and levelled it shouldn't really be altered.
    It's one of the sound guys first jobs to setup/EQ the PA to an acceptable standard

my soundcheck takes about 5 seconds :)

I’ve learned to not rely on sound guys. In my experience they are either deaf or just don’t care enough and we don’t have our own sound tech at our gigs.

• Right now we are right in the midst of fest season so we aren’t rehearsing anymore. Just one gig after another with 30 min changeovers so I really only have during the show to give a preset a try and see how it sounds. Not ideal I know