Kemper randomly jumps in volume

• My Kemper (non-powered) profiler has recently started exhibiting a huge jump in output volume during live performances... I've not done any recent recording, so I can't speak for that realm.... It's getting so loud the FOH and monitor controls can't contain it and it's becoming useless to use on stage..... It happens with any of the profiles and when the volume "jumps" it is across the board in all profiles.... Has anyone else experienced this? Before this, I've not had any issues with the profiler and it's been my mainstay for 5+ years....

Thanks

Tom

• Hi and thanks... Nope, nothhing to midi.. I'm running simple stereo left/right xlr connections out, and that's all....

Thank you,

Tom

• Like I said in another thread, there is a reoccurring issue with the value from the front encoders sometimes turning by themselves (toasters/rack) on older machines. Your problem sounds like this. Go on the Output menu, turn up or down the main and monitor volumes and release (many times) and check carefully if the value keeps going up or down when you don't touch the encoder. Mine started doing this in the last year (7-8 year old machine) and I seem to have to wiggle those knobs a lot before a gig/rehearsal to make sure they don't start turning on their own. It happens all the time at home but luckily not often at rehearsal/gigs so far (because of my pre-gig wiggle routine maybe). I know I should get on with support but it would be difficult to part with my machine for too long these days.

• Like I said in another thread, there is a reoccurring issue with the value from the front encoders sometimes turning by themselves (toasters/rack) on older machines. Your problem sounds like this. Turn up or down the main and monitor volumes and release and check if the value keeps going up or down. Mine started doing this in the last year and I seem to have to wiggle those knobs a lot before a gig/rehearsal to make sure they don't start turning on their own. It happens all the time at home but luckily not often at rehearsal/gigs so far (because of my pre-gig wiggle routine maybe). I know I should get on with support but it would be difficult to part with my machine for too long right now.

If that is the issue, then unlinking main out from Master volume would prevent the issue (as a temporary workaround)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• So, this is sounding like a software thing, more and more.... Just recently updated the firmware and I believe this started happening shortly thereafter... Like you, mine is about 6 yrs old and I probably need to get it serviced.....

Thanks for the advice

Tom

• If that is the issue, then unlinking main out from Master volume would prevent the issue (as a temporary workaround)

Perhaps, I haven't tried. But as far as I know these "knobs" are not actual "knobs" but encoders so not sure it's a mechanical issue and a shot of deoxit/wd-40 certainly isn't going to cut it.

I remember many other people discussing this issue when I looked it up. Maybe this behavior has been reported to Kemper HQ already. Anyway, just speculating about the OP's problem here since I also sometimes experience unwanted volume changes.

• So, this is sounding like a software thing, more and more.... Just recently updated the firmware and I believe this started happening shortly thereafter... Like you, mine is about 6 yrs old and I probably need to get it serviced.....

Thanks for the advice

Tom

If the cause are the encoders, then it has nothing to do with the software. It's hardware

• If it's a hardware issue, is there anything I can do on my end to fix?

No, first thing to do is to open a Support ticket here for a proper dignostic from the Kemper Team, then they will tell you what the next steps are. Please be aware that today is Bank Holiday in Germany

• Is it still possible I have the volume linked in some weird way to the Output? I'm going to pick up my Kemper from storage shortly and will power up and check the menu's internally.....

Thanks again for your responses and help!! You have been a true gentleman, sir!!

Tom